Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need advice on coil spacer + body lift kit

Old 03-21-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on coil spacer + body lift kit

I am planning on putting on a 1 3/4 " Pro Comp coil spacer lift kit or 2" Prothane Coil spacer lift kit AND a 1 1/4 " Rough Country body lift on my 2007 2 door JK. I need some advice/suggestions as to whether I really should get new shocks (not sure if it makes a difference, by my JK model is the "Trail Ready" one with the tow package) or if I can get by with the stock ones. This is my daily driver vehicle, and I only do some mild off-roading occasionally. Also, is a Rough Country 2.5" Spacer Lift Kit pretty much the same as the 2" Prothane spacer lift kit? From what I can see, the RC kit doesn't come with bump stops. Last thing, I have upgraded my front and rear bumper to double tube bumpers, so they're a bit heavier than the stock ones. Thanks
PJ
Old 03-21-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

One more thing, for this combination 2" coil spacer + 1" body lift, would I need to modify any of the steering components, or do any other modifications? Thanks
PJ
Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

my JK model is the "Trail Ready" one
Hmm

Unless you plan on adding big heavy steel bumpers (not those light tubes), and a winch and rear carrier and armor and such, you will be fine with a BB.

You can get by with the stock shocks, but adding shock extensions would be better.

RC does not include bumpstops because their shocks have integrated stops built in to them.

The body lift is not considered in the need for steering components, just the suspension lift. (coils or coil spacers). At 2", you should not need trackbars or control arms, though you might consider longer rear links and moving the stock rears up front.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

What type of shock extensions would be best? I'm not too familiar with them. Thanks
Old 03-21-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

TeraFlex and Rough Country both sell them. They are cheap, and will work just fine if you choose to not go with new shocks.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

I use Teraflex Extenders...also..on a body lift...if you have an automatic..you'll be fine...but if you have a 6 speed..you'll have to cut shifter boot I believe...
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Coondog33
I use Teraflex Extenders...also..on a body lift...if you have an automatic..you'll be fine...but if you have a 6 speed..you'll have to cut shifter boot I believe...
He's getting the RC BL, it comes with an adapter for manuals. Also has brackets to raise the rear bumper. Not a bad deal.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

I just communicated with a rough country rep and was informed that they don't carry shock extensions? I looked on tera flex website, and saw only front shock extensions, where can I get ones for the rear shocks?
Old 03-21-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PJski
I just communicated with a rough country rep and was informed that they don't carry shock extensions? I looked on tera flex website, and saw only front shock extensions, where can I get ones for the rear shocks?
Saw them on there today..just look a little slower..they are there...think the pair is $52...$32 for fronts...
Old 03-21-2011, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Is the RC spacer kit better than the pro comp or Prothane ones, since it already comes with shock extensions? But if it doesn't come with bump stops (while the pro comp or prothane do) would I need to get those extra?

Quick Reply: Need advice on coil spacer + body lift kit