Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need advice on my Lift/Tire project

Old 06-23-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on my Lift/Tire project

Gentlemen..

Getting ready to order tires and lift to outfit my black beauty. Wanted to run everything by the forum to see if anyone had opinions or could make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Stock '08 Unlimited is getting just tires and a lift this go around..

2.5BB Teraflex.
325/65R18 Terra Grapplers (on stock JK wheels).
1.5" spacers.

Couple of questions...

1. What will I need to fit the spare on the back.

2. Do I need to trim the front bumper?

Thanks for your help.

(excited rookie)
Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Lerawk
Gentlemen..

Getting ready to order tires and lift to outfit my black beauty. Wanted to run everything by the forum to see if anyone had opinions or could make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

Stock '08 Unlimited is getting just tires and a lift this go around..

2.5BB Teraflex.
325/65R18 Terra Grapplers (on stock JK wheels).
1.5" spacers.

Couple of questions...

1. What will I need to fit the spare on the back.

2. Do I need to trim the front bumper?

Thanks for your help.

(excited rookie)
You can run that set up without to many issues. If you still have the lower airdam you have to trim it or get rid of it. Bumper should be ok but it may take some minor trimming. To fit the spare in the back you need a spacer to lift it up and out. I would advise not running a 35 for long on a stock carrier. Cracked carrier or busted spot welds on the tailgate will be your biggest problem. Those nitto tires can be heavy. To fix any issue mentioned is a reason to upgrade. GL with your build
Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Firehound
You can run that set up without to many issues. If you still have the lower airdam you have to trim it or get rid of it. Bumper should be ok but it may take some minor trimming. To fit the spare in the back you need a spacer to lift it up and out. I would advise not running a 35 for long on a stock carrier. Cracked carrier or busted spot welds on the tailgate will be your biggest problem. Those nitto tires can be heavy. To fix any issue mentioned is a reason to upgrade. GL with your build
Thanks so much for the input!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe the OEM 18 inch wheels are 7.5 inches wide. If this is correct, a 325mm wide tire is way to wide for those wheels. I wouldn't go wider than 305mm (12.50 inch), unless you plan on buying wider wheels in the near future. Running a tire on a wheel that is too narrow can cause the center portion of the tread to wear quicker than normal, similar to running too much air pressure.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wandell
I believe the OEM 18 inch wheels are 7.5 inches wide. If this is correct, a 325mm wide tire is way to wide for those wheels. I wouldn't go wider than 305mm (12.50 inch), unless you plan on buying wider wheels in the near future. Running a tire on a wheel that is too narrow can cause the center portion of the tread to wear quicker than normal, similar to running too much air pressure.
Good to know. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks!!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

What are my options then as far as tires sitting on stock wheels.. that are getting up towards 35s?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you planning on keeping your OEM wheels forever? If you are, I'd stick with a tire in the 285mm (11.50 inch) or 295mm (12.00 inch) width range. I've seen a ton of people run 305mm and 315mm wide tires on 7.5 inch wide wheels, but they were on fullsize pickups that are heavier than a JK. Even then, they really had to keep an eye on air pressure so the centers didn't wear.
I know that the Nitto Terra Grappler, Trail Grapplers and Goodyear Duratrack lines have some narrower sizes like 295/70-18 (35x12.00 approximately). Check out their websites.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Are you planning on keeping your OEM wheels forever? If you are, I'd stick with a tire in the 285mm (11.50 inch) or 295mm (12.00 inch) width range. I've seen a ton of people run 305mm and 315mm wide tires on 7.5 inch wide wheels, but they were on fullsize pickups that are heavier than a JK. Even then, they really had to keep an eye on air pressure so the centers didn't wear.
I know that the Nitto Terra Grappler, Trail Grapplers and Goodyear Duratrack lines have some narrower sizes like 295/70-18 (35x12.00 approximately). Check out their websites.
Thanks for the reply. I like this idea better. I'm not going to keep the stock wheels forever.. just for this next run of tires. I'll be saving money for stage two of my build.. and new wheels will be apart of that. But until then.. I want a tire that will help my Jeep look more like a linebacker and less like a punter.

Quick Reply: Need advice on my Lift/Tire project