Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help ID'ing Suspension Mods

Old 07-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by thewestwon
Not at all. I could care less what brand they are. I just have a limited experience with jeeps to definitively say what is stock/what isn't. You're correct in that I'm not having any issues right this second. Thinking back to my blazer days, I could easily have blocks under the rear leaves and steering at a dangerous angle that may run just fine for years. That doesn't mean it's not an issue and potential concern that should be addressed, especially if taking it out on the trails, not knowing exactly what I may get myself into. Brand isn't as important as figuring out what's there and what it was designed for. I have no desire to upgrade something that is fit for purpose and working as expected. Something that isn't fit for purpose but currently working is another matter entirely. Sure I can pick I line and give it hell, but knowing what I'm starting with will certainly make me rethink my path and the abuse I'm willing to take that day if I intend on driving out.

It was repo'd in Florida back in 2011 and had not been driven since when i got it last year, or calling the previous owner would have been my first step.
Good luck on your quest. However, I'm not aware of a lift out there that tells you exactly what it's design intent is for, so I'm not exactly sure what you're thinking you're going to find in those regards. They'll all tell you what you want to hear or listen to and believe, to sell more lift kits. What you may want to do, is to look at some lift kits out there, then ask yourself the question "What is the design intent of each of those particular components?" Then go find that out. That kind of information you can find, but finding what a particular brand component's design intent won't be available. I have yet to see a lift kit that states "the intended use for this component is for light offroad use only, or this is designed to be bashed on rocks offroad and survive but rides like sh*t on the road."

There's lots of information on this forum and some very knowledgable people. Start reading and then start asking some more focused questions.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:05 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Good luck on your quest. However, I'm not aware of a lift out there that tells you exactly what it's design intent is for, so I'm not exactly sure what you're thinking you're going to find in those regards. They'll all tell you what you want to hear or listen to and believe, to sell more lift kits. What you may want to do, is to look at some lift kits out there, then ask yourself the question "What is the design intent of each of those particular components?" Then go find that out. That kind of information you can find, but finding what a particular brand component's design intent won't be available. I have yet to see a lift kit that states "the intended use for this component is for light offroad use only, or this is designed to be bashed on rocks offroad and survive but rides like sh*t on the road."

There's lots of information on this forum and some very knowledgable people. Start reading and then start asking some more focused questions.
LOL, poor guy just trying to figure out what the hell he's starting with. Cut him a break. He didn't build it, just trying to figure out what he has and where to go from here.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
LOL, poor guy just trying to figure out what the hell he's starting with. Cut him a break. He didn't build it, just trying to figure out what he has and where to go from here.
Yeah, I know. It just seems like he may have purchased the wrong Jeep if it's bothering him that much just to find out what brand each part is. It's like buying a stock Jeep, and then wanting to know who the supplier is that manufactured each part before you feel comfortable in using it. Seems like he has already identified the non stock parts. It looks like a Frankenlift to me. If you need to know exactly what everything is after buying it, there's 2 sure fire ways to do it.

1. Purchase a new lift kit and replace the non stock parts.

2. Go to a Jeep club and put up a flier advertising that you are interested in purchasing stock suspension parts. He'll get tons of responses and now knows where he's starting with once the stock parts are put back on.

It also seems pretty odd to me, that someone who admittedly says they're new Jeeps, wants to know the brand of the different aftermarket components that are installed on it, as if although they're new to Jeeps they're some how an expert on knowing which aftermarket Jeep brand name components should be replaced or not. Am I the only one who thinks this makes no sense and seems like a direct contradiction?

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-25-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help ID'ing Suspension Mods