Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help picking a lift

Old 09-22-2016, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
A coil spacer lift with shocks extensions should be doable. You don't have to buy a full kit and can just buy the pucks. If you are getting a lot of sag up front look for a 2" puck up front and maybe a 1" in the rear. Once you get the height you want you may need longer sway bar links and shock extensions to regain the factory travel.

Without a bigger budget then $400 this is going to be about all you can do.
Thanks for your help I read what you wrote about lifts. So my next question would be should I skip the lift and keep the 2 inch level I have cut the fenders and just but some decent shocks? If that's the route what type of shocks should I be looking at with a heavy front bumper to get rid of the rake I have?
Old 09-22-2016, 11:04 AM
Former Vendor

Shocks do not lift the vehicle or help it support extra weight. The coil spring handles that part and the shock helps to control the suspension as you drive. If you want to get rid of the rake you should add a coil spring that will hold the weight up and control it better than the stock shock and coil can. It is a good idea to pair aftermarket coils with aftermarket shocks, but you can do it in stages if the budget doesn't allow it to all be done at once. You should do coils and extensions if you're going to re-use the stock shocks.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad
Shocks do not lift the vehicle or help it support extra weight. The coil spring handles that part and the shock helps to control the suspension as you drive. If you want to get rid of the rake you should add a coil spring that will hold the weight up and control it better than the stock shock and coil can. It is a good idea to pair aftermarket coils with aftermarket shocks, but you can do it in stages if the budget doesn't allow it to all be done at once. You should do coils and extensions if you're going to re-use the stock shocks.

What is is a good brand or what should I look for in coils?
Old 09-22-2016, 12:04 PM
Former Vendor

Did you see my response on page one? RK's 2.5" coils will support the weight of the vehicle and improve your ride. I have the system paired with Bilstein 5100s in this deal I was showing you.

http://www.rivercityoffroad.com/Rock...m-pkg-disc.htm

Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad
Check out this setup from RK.

http://www.rivercityoffroad.com/Rock...m-pkg-disc.htm

The coils will stand up to the weight of that front bumper and winch and your ride will improve. It is a bit more than you're budgeting for, but it is a whole lot more bang for the buck than a budget boost that uses spacers.

If you aren't ready for shocks, I can set you up with shock extensions for front and rear instead and do it all for $475 all in. (Bilsteins are included in our package deals at a cost of $300, so this kit is selling for $400.)

It is "discontinued" because RK has gone back to including sway bar disconnects instead of fixed links and added the rear track bar bracket back to it. If you or anyone else reading this wants that setup, it is $875 with Bilstein 5100s.

Marcus
Old 09-22-2016, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Metal Cloak, Rock Krawler both have good coils. I would suggest Dual Rate coils. As far as shocks go Fox or Rancho are good plus the Rancho RS9000xls are adjustable.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Carbon
Metal Cloak, Rock Krawler both have good coils. I would suggest Dual Rate coils. As far as shocks go Fox or Rancho are good plus the Rancho RS9000xls are adjustable.
Plus the Rancho's have a rebate now.

X 2 MC, RK or even Synergy coils
Old 09-22-2016, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a budget lift, look at Trailmaster 3.0 with shock extensions..249.00 at 4wd.com. I added rear sway bar links, used the rear in the front. OVerall am very pleased.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on this. There are many others on here that are way more experienced than me but for mine i went with the Teraflex 2.5" suspension lift. I put 35's on it also. I put new shocks on (additional cost) but you can run stock shocks with shock extensions cheaper. I had a lot of good tech support from the Teraflex folks too. I think it was around $450. This might not help much but thought i'd toss it out there. However, from what i can tell, Dirtman is probably the best authority on the subject.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

PACKAGE: **DISCONTINUED BLOW OUT PRICING** Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod + Bilstein 5100s (Options Available) Looking at this lift. Does it come with brake line extensions or brackets to extend them?
Old 09-23-2016, 06:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You can try craigslist as well as the for sale section or those that have gone higher or moved to coil overs. Lots of good used parts out there for the budget constrained.

Quick Reply: Need help picking a lift