Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help with rear end clunk

Old 12-19-2010, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jboth
I was able to check a few things today. Pushed up on the rear bumper and found no play nor heard any sounds of movement with the shocks. The AEV kit came with a geometry corrected rear track bar tower and new track bar which I assume would take the spring hitting the track bar into account.

Took a few pics. The springs are bowed and driver's side spring is very close to the tracbar tower bolt,probably within 1/2" but there are no signs of rubbing on either side of the track bar or sway bar end links. How bad is it to keep driving with bowed springs and should this be fixed?

Still stumped. Any other ideas?
I had a clunking when I first did my lift and swapped out the rear track bar. The problem was the track bar bold needed to be reversed because it was getting caught up on the bump stop. Now looking at your passenger side bump stop , there are some recent scratches on it, so I would examine it to see if you can see a wear pattern. If so, just reverse the side the bolt head is on.

Good luck trying to pin it down
Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NJKen
I had a clunking when I first did my lift and swapped out the rear track bar. The problem was the track bar bold needed to be reversed because it was getting caught up on the bump stop. Now looking at your passenger side bump stop , there are some recent scratches on it, so I would examine it to see if you can see a wear pattern. If so, just reverse the side the bolt head is on.

Good luck trying to pin it down
Thanks for pointing out. There was contact between the pass side trackbar bolt and bumpstop. I reversed the bolt but the clunk/thud is still there. It does it when turning corners quickly and just barely causing the suspension to flex.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know you turned that track bar bolt around but it still looks darn close even with just a bolt head there spray a little white paint on it and turn fast and let it clunk, see if the paints still there! Also on the drivers side that spring is very close to the track bar relocation bracket it could be there too
Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazyloggy
I know you turned that track bar bolt around but it still looks darn close even with just a bolt head there spray a little white paint on it and turn fast and let it clunk, see if the paints still there! Also on the drivers side that spring is very close to the track bar relocation bracket it could be there too
Thanks, I will try the paint on the bolt head. I wouldn't think that the suspension would flex that much just going around a corner to cause the bolt head to touch the bumpstop. There's a good several inches between the two.

I think I may get some spring perch wedges too.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know if it matters but your shocks are upside down. Might check to make sure they are not bent? That's about the only other thing I can think of.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

shocks are the way they should be. They will only mount one way. I would definitely recommend the correction wedges. the other thing I would check is the track bar mounts. If your lift came with a new mount that bolts to your old one, it could be moving when you turn or flex the suspension. I dont know much about the AEV system but with the RK, If you dont weld the new bracket, it will move. also, remove the track bar and put your track bar bolts in your mount holes and see if they are real loose. sometimes those holes get wallowed out and can allow the track bar to move

Last edited by Jeter; 12-22-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your right about the shocks I was looking at the picture wrong, sorry about that one! Do you know anyone with a go pro camera? You could stick it back there and watch it.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeter
shocks are the way they should be. They will only mount one way. I would definitely recommend the correction wedges. the other thing I would check is the track bar mounts. If your lift came with a new mount that bolts to your old one, it could be moving when you turn or flex the suspension. I dont know much about the AEV system but with the RK, If you dont weld the new bracket, it will move. also, remove the track bar and put your track bar bolts in your mount holes and see if they are real loose. sometimes those holes get wallowed out and can allow the track bar to move
I think you may be correct in the fact that it has something to do with the trackbar and/or components. Yes the aev kit does come with a new trackbar tower which mounts ontop the old one but mines not welded. I think I may look into getting it welded. Back in the summer I tried tightening the tower bolts as hard as I could without pinching the axle and the clunk actually got better at this time now that I think about it.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazyloggy
Your right about the shocks I was looking at the picture wrong, sorry about that one! Do you know anyone with a go pro camera? You could stick it back there and watch it.
I was thinking of getting one of those actually,thanks.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might think i'm crazy, but it might not be anything under the Jeep in the Rear end.

Reason being; I had the exact same thing happen to me. After examining EVERYTHING, i found what was knocking. Check to make sure that the Jack in the trunk is tight. I used mine for some odd job and put it back but it had slid to the passenger side and after a few times turning and the thing going back and fourth it bent the stop piece that gets wedged up into the bracket where the jack gets tightened up into, thus When i made turns or flexed, the jack was sliding to either side hitting the compartment walls and making a knock sound like i had a loose wheel or track bar. It drove me crazy! Check your Jack to make sure it's not doing the same thing mine was.

and Good luck!

Quick Reply: Need help with rear end clunk