Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need to move spare up a few inches

Old 10-22-2007, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to move spare up a few inches

I want to use a 3-4" rise hitch with my 07 JK Unlimited which has 33"s including the spare mounted in the stock location. The problem is that when using a rise hitch without a receiver extender (don't want to use one) the top of the hitch will just about come in contact with the bottom of the spare even before attaching a ball mount. I have done a little searching for spare relocation kits that say they shift it up an inch or so. I know I may need to move the 3rd brake light up a little also so it does not get blocked. Has anyone done such a mod or have any recommendations for something I can purchase and install to raise the spare up a "few" inches ideally along with the light? I don't want to change out the stock bumper.

Would this do it? http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_500.htm

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that would do it..but it might look a little funny since it will stick out a little further. I imagine that is a good cheap way to do what you're wanting to do though.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Expedition One also makes one...or, you could have someone fab one up for you. Thant's what I did out of 1/4" plate, and raised it 2". I now have a 37 on the back. I did have to remove the 3rd brake light and haven't put it back on yet.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The only problem I see with this is that this would not only raise your spare up higher but it will also push it out. And, with the spare moved out, it will not be able to make contact with the rubber isolators anymore. Now, this is a problem because without the spare making contact with the isolators, it will jiggle on bumps and may lead to the failure/breaking of the tire mount and or tailgate. This was a common problem with guys who did this on TJ's.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's what I was saying..it'll stick out. Not a good thing..I should have been more clear. Thanks for clarifying WOL.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Just raise the Jeep 3 inches and keep the hitch and spare the way they are.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Still looking for a viable solution

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Just raise the Jeep 3 inches and keep the hitch and spare the way they are.
Sure if I wanted to do that I could then the jeep would be at a 5" lift (already 2" now). Seeking another alternative...maybe I could have an extra long receiver hitch fabricated that would extend just beyond the spare but not be quite as long as an extension. The problem is I now have an off road trailer and the take off angle is going to suffer the longer I have to extend the hitch. I like the idea of lifting up the spare as long as the mount has bumpers in place to prohibit movement. Keep the ideas coming!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

How about use the mount and then extend the rubber isolators so it still rests up against the tire. Sounds like a simple solution.

Quick Reply: Need to move spare up a few inches