Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Some Advice for Next Step

Old 03-20-2013, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Advice for Next Step

Hey all, I'm down to two options for what I want to do with my 2008 JKU Rubicon (auto). I've already ordered the following: ARB diff covers, HD adj track bar, steering stabilizer, sleeves/axle gussets, LCA weld on skids, TF hinged tire carrier and xenon wide flat fender flares. My original game plan was to add 35" tires (currently running a TF 2.5 lift with coils), re-gear and call it good. Now I'm questioning if I should instead wait a little longer to upgrade to a 3.5" RK mid arm lift and run 37's? From the posts I've read, the 37's can be used in a DD and with 5.38 gears the gas mileage isn't incredibly terrible. Just trying to save myself from upgrading tires again in the future. My daily commute is about 50 miles roundtrip, I occasionally tow an ATV for weekend camping/ice fishing trips, etc and I'll be wheeling a lot more this year. All thoughts/suggestions are welcome! Thanks.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch 50 miles one way? Dang are you driving RT 4 from Portsmouth to concord everyday? Lucky for you the hills or mountains are not that bad in that area. My parents live in Northwood NH so I know all about that area. 3.8L and 4.88 with 35's will get the job done and still save on gas. But If you want to go 37's in the future might as well do the 5.38 upgrade save your self the money.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good set of 35s will last you 40-50k. I'd do the 2.5 now with 35s, then in a year or two get 37s. A well maintained jeep will last a lifetime. I you plan on having it forever plan on lifting in stages. 37s on 4:88s is doable. I have 35s on 3:21s. You could just meet in the middle and do 35s on 5:13s then not have to regear when you get a 3.5 and 37s later down the road.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Keep your current lift
Buy the 37's
The new flats should clear the 37's. If you need a bit more space, add taller bumpstops
Go with 5.38's (unless you have a heavy foot in the rocks and want a bit more strength?)
Add a taller lift later, if desired

Driving that much, you might consider a good AT tread over something more aggressive. Maybe the 37" Wildpeak/Rocky Mountain?

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice for Next Step