Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help picking tires/rims and if I'll need a BB.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help picking tires/rims and if I'll need a BB.

Sorry if this topic is over-saturated but it's hard to find a clear answer because everyone's Jeep is different.

I have a '12 JKU Sport I'm looking to upgrade on a budget. I'd like to get 33" tires with 15" rims but having a hard time picking them out. The Jeep is my daily driver and primarily used to get me skiing in the mountains. I've never been off-roading but will start on easy trails this spring, so I don't need the best of anything. I'm trying to learn about all this stuff but I don't want to end up buying the wrong thing. I'm hoping someone can point me to the right products.

Tires: I like the 33x12.5x15 tires but not exactly sure which brand. I've heard good things about Goodyear Duratrac, but also read suggestions about the cheaper and lighter Toyo OC AT/2. Will tires matter as much if I'm not real serious about off-roading?

Wheels: 15" Rims because they're cheap. I should get steel ones correct? I know they need to have the right backspace so the tires don't rub but I am so lost with all the choices and what will match wit hthe tire and my Jeep. Anyone know of good, cheap, matte black, 15" rims that would work? I'm not too picky so I'd like to save money here.

I'm guessing I'll need more stuff like pressure sensors or balancing weights, correct?

Would I need a budget boost? I have a stock JKU, hard top, rubicon rock rails, and 18/59 springs. I could be wrong but it seemed like it depended on the weight of the tires, rims, and mods to know if the BB was needed for 33"s or not.

Don't know if it matters but I'd also add rubicon take-off shocks when I changed the tires. I can get them dirt cheap where I live and seems like it makes a slight improvement over stock shocks.

Any thoughts would help a lot. All this information is a little overwhelming especially when mistakes can be very expensive.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Discount tire is a sponsor, here, & I'm certain they can answer your questions. You may want to send them a direct message. There's also a "sticky" post in Modified JK Tech, by Planman, called, "My Thoughts on Lifts." Check out Planman's original post for info about tire & lift size.

Last edited by notnalc68; 01-07-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by notnalc68
There's also a "sticky" post in Modified JK Tech, by Planman, called, "My Thoughts on Lifts." Check out Planman's original post for info about tire & lift size.
Just a slight correction:
"Dirtman" has the lifts thread stuck to the top of this modified section.
Planman has the nice deathwobble diagnosis stuck to the top of the writeups area.

A good thread on 15's
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...wheels-120933/

For onroad driving, you should be ok without the lift. When you start offroading, decide if you want to add the lift, or just chop the fenders to gain a little more clearance.

There are several version of the budget boost lifts. Some include longer shocks that correspond to the new lift height, some have extensions for your current shocks, and some have neither. Decide which route you are going to go before purchasing rubi shocks.

The tire shop will balance them for you, no need to buy weights. (unless you are mounting them yourself?) They can also swap the sensors from your current rims to the new ones. Or, grab a programmer/tuner and turn the system off, and don't worry about swapping the sensors.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-07-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

I know this isn't any fun, but if you plan to go bigger than 33's and a BB down the road, then I wouldn't spend my money now. If you're going to build your rig, do it the right way the first time and you'll be happy you did. But, if you plan on staying with 33's for a while then the more power to ya!

As far as tires go, my BFG KM2's are awesome on road and off, and would recommend them to anyone, I have also heard good things about Toyos and the Duratracs...It's a personal preference and truly depends on your driving style. I know you mentioned an AT tread, but some AT's aren't really AT at all. What kind of wheeling would you be doing? Gravel roads? Mud? Rocks? Sand? I would go with a MT, but that's just me.

On to the BB.. With 33's you won't need it, but you may rub a little if it's flexed out. Trimming the fenders helps, and can add a new look to your Jeep. As mentioned above, depending on your current set up and the BB you go with, you may need to get your hands on a longer set of shocks, so add that in your budget. Again, a set of shocks that fit a BB aren't going to fit a larger lift down the road. (Don't bank on selling used parts, I've seen it done, but everyone knows how much we put our parts through...)

I agree with the weights and TPMS statement above. The shop will stick the weights on there and you can reuse your current TPMS if you'd like, but I haven't missed them.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out the "Show your 33s," thread in the show and tell forum to see what they'll look like. Lots of different tires, wheels, and anything from no lift on up.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Just a slight correction: "Dirtman" has the lifts thread stuck to the top of this modified section. Planman has the nice deathwobble diagnosis stuck to the top of the writeups area. A good thread on 15's https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/spon...wheels-120933/ For onroad driving, you should be ok without the lift. When you start offroading, decide if you want to add the lift, or just chop the fenders to gain a little more clearance. There are several version of the budget boost lifts. Some include longer shocks that correspond to the new lift height, some have extensions for your current shocks, and some have neither. Decide which route you are going to go before purchasing rubi shocks. The tire shop will balance them for you, no need to buy weights. (unless you are mounting them yourself?) They can also swap the sensors from your current rims to the new ones. Or, grab a programmer/tuner and turn the system off, and don't worry about swapping the sensors.
I meant Dirtman. Sorry to the Dirtman. Planman has info in the same post.

Quick Reply: Need some help picking tires/rims and if I'll need a BB.