Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Spacers/Don't Need Spacers...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Spacers/Don't Need Spacers...

Ok,

I keep seeing people say you need spacers and then others say you don't. Here is my situation, need advice:

2007 JK Unlimited Rubi (Bone Stock). I plan to but a 2.5" BB and going to attempt t myself. I'm keeping stock wheels and tires, as they only have 16,000 on them and I just can't see buying new tires now. May eventually go with 33s.

I don't do a lot of wheeling yet, as I am new to the world. I do like to run trails and plan to do a ton more wheeling. However, I don't see myself doing a lot of extreme rock crawling with this one, as it is my everyday driver and I don't really want to bang it up too much. One day I can build a specific rock crawler.

Advice/Help appreciated. Any one is AR wanting to discuss it we could meet some Sat. for beer/pizza
Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Spacers if... You get the TF 2.5BB AND install the sway bar links that come with the kit. If you use the stock sway bar links then no need for the spacers. Since you have an 07, you probably can omit the spacer and install the sway new sway bar links for the rear on the inside.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SBlair
Spacers if... You get the TF 2.5BB AND install the sway bar links that come with the kit. If you use the stock sway bar links then no need for the spacers. Since you have an 07, you probably can omit the spacer and install the sway new sway bar links for the rear on the inside.
Some are able to install the links on the inside, some are not. Jeep was not very consistent with the placement of the sway bar mount. You wont know until you try.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Some new info that might eliminate the JK's variable rear sway link mount issue altogether:

Try this experiment -

1. Drive around a bit....go over some bumps, lane changes, do a quick avoidance type maneuver, etc.

2. Undo the rear sway bar links, and leave it disconnected (Bungee/zip tie the links out of the way...)...and drive around a bit....go over some bumps, lane changes, do a quick avoidance type maneuver, etc.

3. See if the difference was enough to matter.

4. There is growing evidence from board members here who've done it to their JK's....and on other similar rigs on other boards over the years, that the rear sway bars are all but worthless....and chucking them seems to make no difference, or not enough difference to bother with new links, etc.

5. Report your findings here, to add to the growing ranks of satisfied disco'd rears, etc.

6. Now you don't need to mount new links on the inside OR outside, OR get spacers to clear them, etc. (You get, in return - more rear travel, more money you didn't spend on longer rear links, more money you didn't spend on spacers just to clear the rear links, more money to spend on other mods, etc.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sure hope he doesn't have a wreck on your advice to drive with the sway bar disconnected.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Talking

shhhhhh, the lawyers might hear you.

People are already doing it - so far, so good, so its not like he'll turn the wheel, and the JK will leap into a reverse immelman or something...at most, considering that, so far, every one says its not noticeable...if he does notice something, it will most likely be on the more subtle range than dramatic enough to cause an accident, etc.

I plan on doing it when it stops raining.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by RuBob
I can't wait to start seeing all the flop pics on this forum.
How cruel.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

So here is what I am hearing:

Spacers are not really necassary for the kind of off roading I plan to do with one of the budget boosts.

Here is what I plan to do. Install either a Teraflex or Rough Country BB and run stock wheels and tires until time to replace tires then running some larger tires.

Any problems?

Thank for the help.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Grant211
Thanks for that. With the type of off roading I plan to do I think I'll just keep the stock shocks for now. when I add larger tires I'll go with better wheels and put on the after-market shocks at that time.

Sound right?

Quick Reply: Need Spacers/Don't Need Spacers...