Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Eaton E-Locker Thoughts?

Old 01-05-2014, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Eaton E-Locker Thoughts?

I have been doing some reading about selectable lockers the last few weeks and would like to hear some feedback from you guys. I know that ARB makes a product that a lot of people are really happy with. I think the other major selectable product is the Eaton E-locker. The E-Locker appeals to me specifically for being simple, with seemingly less sitting between it working and not working. What I have read is that between these two products the ARB is a studier product due to it being a 4 pinion design while the Eaton was a 2 pinion design for the Dana 44. At SEMA 2013 Eaton announced it had upgraded the D44 locker to also be 4 pinion.

For those of you that bought the ARB over the Eaton due to the pinion design, if you were to do it again would you now consider the Eaton? Being a more simple setup (just power) as opposed to air lines and a compressor isn't that something to be taken into account as well? (I have a portable compressor so OBA isn't important to me.)

Price also being a factor it looks like the ARB about $1050 per and Eaton is about $850. You would also need the add ons for the ARB to get it working. I'm thinking it would be $600 ish or so more to go with a F/R ARB setup just looking a advertised online pricing and not accounting for sales. Is the ARB worth the extra cost.

I guess I'm not really looking for "I have X and it works great..." but more some thoughts on durability between the two. Are they on a level playing ground now with this re design or will we need to wait and see how these new lockers work in practical application before you can say they are level?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcm4dbUaQN8
EDIT TO ADD: Here is a post I made to reference the correct part number for the new 30 spline D44 E-Locker.

Last edited by Black2013JK; 06-05-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed. My next big upgrade.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was planning on going Eaton in the front and ARB in the rear for exactly the reasons you stated. When they came out with the 4 pinion rear, that made my life easier as now I don't have to add a compressor or worry about air lines. When I regear it's Eaton front and rear. I know that doesn't help you much but at least you know someone else is thinking the same as you.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

I to have gone back and forth on this subject, my jeep is going in shop tomorrow for regear 4:56s , ARB in rear.I decided just to put a true trac in front.didn't want to spend a whole lot on the D30.sleeve & gusset upgrade axles D30.I'll put a select locker up front when I go to a D44.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I re geared my 05 LJ to 488 and put a eaton up front in my Dana 30 and loved it. If I was gonna do another re gear it would be an eaton
Old 01-05-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

I wanted to go with E lockers at first, I started obsessing about this crap so decided to try the ARB. The reason Iam doing the D30 like Iam is if I put a E locker or ARB in, when I change to a D44 can't reuse that locker. Diff axle spline right correct me if wrong. After all Iam new at this stuff....
Old 01-05-2014, 05:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
I to have gone back and forth on this subject, my jeep is going in shop tomorrow for regear 4:56s , ARB in rear.I decided just to put a true trac in front.didn't want to spend a whole lot on the D30.sleeve & gusset upgrade axles D30.I'll put a select locker up front when I go to a D44.
Originally Posted by Rebar-7
I wanted to go with E lockers at first, I started obsessing about this crap so decided to try the ARB. The reason Iam doing the D30 like Iam is if I put a E locker or ARB in, when I change to a D44 can't reuse that locker. Diff axle spline right correct me if wrong. After all Iam new at this stuff....

Maybe I misread it, but -- You don't want to dump a lot of money into your front d30, so you are doing gears, a truetrac, sleeves, gussets, and alloy shafts? Or just a truetrac and nothing else?

When you change to a front d44 (factory rubi 44, PR44, Tera44), you won't be reusing any of that. (with the possible exception of the outer shafts, if you happen to keep the stock outers and add just the alloy inners?). The stock 32sp outer shafts are the same on both the d30 and d44, and they use the same knuckles and brakes. Inner shafts, joints, gears, carrier/locker/truetrac, all different.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

For those of you that bought the ARB over the Eaton due to the pinion design, if you were to do it again would you now consider the Eaton?
I think it is still too soon for any real feedback on the new design, but assuming the new d44 4pin version performs as well as the current d30 4-pin and/or the arb, I would definitely consider them over a pair of arb's.

And as far as the old 2-pin version goes, I have read a lot of posts on here from people who have them, and I don't recall seeing a single post of a failure. Same goes for the yukon zip, there was a lot of speculation when they came out, but I haven't seen them blowing up either.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribing, I have OEM lockers but am interested in the new E-locker design.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

I have sitting on my work bench right now 2 eaton elockers and 4.88s and will be installing them this coming weekend!! I've had the elocker before and it never gave me a single problem so I had no problem choosing them again!!

Quick Reply: New Eaton E-Locker Thoughts?