Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Eaton E-Locker Thoughts?

Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the dynatrac rep usually replies to threads like this with details. 3..2..1..
Old 01-05-2014, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You see the more you hang on this forum the more you learn !! In order to regear from 3:21s to 4:56s I have to change the front carrier so just decided to go with the true trac
Old 01-06-2014, 04:06 AM
JK Super Freak

I did truetracs front and rear when I regeared, I wish I put an e-locker in and may go ahead and still do that. I found that I'm doing more rocks than I thought I would be doing. Although the truetracs have done great for me, I have noticed their limitations.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Subscribing, I have OEM lockers but am interested in the new E-locker design.
I was told when I put an ARB in my rear D44 on my Rubi that Eaton E lockers did not fit a Rubicon housing?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKZinger

I was told when I put an ARB in my rear D44 on my Rubi that Eaton E lockers did not fit a Rubicon housing?
I have been told that too, wondering if the new ones fit
Old 01-06-2014, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

I know when I was thinking of putting E lockers in I thought I had to get factory wiring harness to make them work. That's when I found out there was a difference from stock rubi lockers and after market E lockers.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKZinger
As far as I know, the new Eaton for the 44 is for NON rubi 44's only. It will not fit. Your only option for rubi housing lockers are ARB (35 spline), OX (30 or 35 spline), and Factory (30 spline).

Remeber with an ARB initial cost includes the compressor. Some times they offer deals with the compressor for free however.

Next thing to keep in mind is warantee. ARB's new warrantee is 5 years on all lockers. I believe it explicitly says in Eatons warrantee booklet that anything over stock tires voids warrentee....

I haven't heard great things about Eaton E lockers... long engagment distances and weaker 2 pinion design (obviously stronger with the new 4 pinon), but I don't have experiance with them more than installing one in a friends D60 for him. The carrier housing is very very heavy, and appears well made all around. Time will tell how it holds up for him.

I run ARB. I have been having some solenoid issues in the cold lately, and I have a minor electrical gremlin when the headlights are on (something to do with wiring switch illumination in), but all in all the locker performance has been great. Unlocks and locks on command. I carry a little extra air line and some double eneded connectors just in case I pop a line (which I have done, easy fix).
Old 01-06-2014, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

"That’s good news for JK owners looking to replace their failed factory electric lockers with much less expensive, more durable ELockers."

Pulled this from a jeep magazine. Makes it seem like the locker will fit rubi 44's. Buddy of mine just bought one waiting to get it so he can install it in his rubi 44 housing.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKred
I believe it explicitly says in Eatons warrantee booklet that anything over stock tires voids warrentee....
Interestingly enough, ARB website says the same thing about their warranty:
"Air Locker Inc. (ARB) does not warrant or make any representations concerning its goods when: The products are installed in vehicles fitted with aftermarket non-standard tires with diameters in excess of OEM specifications" Link is here
Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJCFHB
"That’s good news for JK owners looking to replace their failed factory electric lockers with much less expensive, more durable ELockers."

Pulled this from a jeep magazine. Makes it seem like the locker will fit rubi 44's. Buddy of mine just bought one waiting to get it so he can install it in his rubi 44 housing.
Looks like there's 1 for the front D44 rubi (new 4-pin design, part number 19977-010) but not for rubi rear (application guide states Eaton is a 30 spline and rubi's are 32 spline). I don't know if you could run 30 spline axles in rubicon rear housing or even if you'd want to run a less beefier shaft for that matter

On a different note, I swapped in a Rubicon rear axle and the elocker works well except it tends to stay on for a little bit after switching it off. I'm thinking elockers are prone to this. It would be nice to have it disengage right away, an advantage ARB has as noted in JKred's post.

Last edited by nmwranglerx; 01-21-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Quick Reply: New Eaton E-Locker Thoughts?