Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New to forum, have some ?'s

Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife couldn't drive a stick either. But I refused to buy a Jeep with an automatic. It took me three days to teach her to drive it. Now I can't keep her out of it, and she said " I was right " ( that never has happened before )
Now her "mod list" is bigger than mine. LMAO
Old 07-08-2013, 01:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all your doing is trail riding with a mud hole here and there why not just keep it stock for now? That way if you need warranty work done they will have a harder time declining it under warranty. You can learn the vehicles capabilities and let's face it they are pretty darn capable out of the box, especially for what it sounds like you are going to be doing. If you like the look of it lifted then by all means slap a budget boost on there and join the club! Just be careful before you know it your little weekend toy could eat you out of house and home! Either way, welcome
Old 07-08-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

I guess my main reason for the lift is to make it a little more aggressive looking. I have owned many 4x4 vehicles that were not lifted including a 1966 Bronco and never had any problems with where I have taken them. I am quite sure I would not have any issues with the stock setup on my JK so maybe just keeping it stock will save me some headaches? It stands fairly tall now so maybe I just level the front with the back? Has any one done just that? If so and you have a pic that would be great! Thanks everyone for your advice it is greatly appreciated!
Originally Posted by BigSteve
If all your doing is trail riding with a mud hole here and there why not just keep it stock for now? That way if you need warranty work done they will have a harder time declining it under warranty. You can learn the vehicles capabilities and let's face it they are pretty darn capable out of the box, especially for what it sounds like you are going to be doing. If you like the look of it lifted then by all means slap a budget boost on there and join the club! Just be careful before you know it your little weekend toy could eat you out of house and home! Either way, welcome
Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Also, I don't have a 2013 and haven't payed any attention to it, but isn't there an exhaust clearance issue that needs to be addressed?
I'm glad someone mentioned this. Since the 2012-Present JK has the Pentastar engine the exhaust is routed differently and does cause driveshaft clearance issues. Two ways to solve this. One is to install an aftermarket driveshaft (which is the better way to go) and the other is to install a set of exhaust spacers (which is much more economical).

Typically the BB lift kits come with a rear track bar bracket but nothing for the front. The offset of the axle in the front is so minimal that it really isn't noticed.

One thing to keep in mind is that as you lift a vehicle it changes the operating angles of everything. It will actually bring the front axle closer to the rear of the vehicle and bring the rear axle closer to the front of the vehicle. Again most people don't notice it. The only thing that customers have mentioned when installing a budget boost is that the steering feels "flighty". This is caused by the change in caster. This can be corrected with a set of adjustable control arms or drop brackets. The adjustable control arms are the better way to go because it gives you more ground clearance however if you do not plan on wheeling the vehicle then drop brackets would be an economical solution.

We like to recommend the Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex System as the most basic kit. This is because it is complete enough to wheel for a while and easily allows to upgrade to even more complete kits as your needs/budget allow.

Feel Free to PM us if you would like to discuss more in detail or would like a quote.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by creynjr
I guess my main reason for the lift is to make it a little more aggressive looking. I have owned many 4x4 vehicles that were not lifted including a 1966 Bronco and never had any problems with where I have taken them. I am quite sure I would not have any issues with the stock setup on my JK so maybe just keeping it stock will save me some headaches? It stands fairly tall now so maybe I just level the front with the back? Has any one done just that? If so and you have a pic that would be great! Thanks everyone for your advice it is greatly appreciated!
The Tereflex leveling kit, some 33's and wheel spacers might be a good setup for you. Congrats on the Jeep!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

My boy put that exact kit you outlined on his JKU Sport. He bought my Rubicon wheels and tires and added 1.5" spacers. He did it for looks and the little extra clearance. He has no complaints about how it drives. He did not modify the front trackbar and I think he got the bracket for the rear. He is running the stock shocks with the extensions. His steering wheel was just very very slightly off which just took a minute to fix. Barely turned the adjuster.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

I just looked at the Teraflex leveling kit and maybe this is my best option. From what I read the front raises 2" and rear 1". So I guess all of the issues that come with using the 2.5" budget boost will be eliminated if I just use the Teraflex leveling kit instead? Or will I still have to worry about axle alignment issues? Also I know that many on here are against wheel spacers that are not attached to the axle, but in all honesty for normal driving conditions how awful are the RC ones that retail For $60 a pair?
Originally Posted by idiotec
The Tereflex leveling kit, some 33's and wheel spacers might be a good setup for you. Congrats on the Jeep!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

how awful are the RC ones that retail For $60 a pair?
Nothing wrong with them. A bunch of guys on here run them.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Shouldn't have to worry about track bars or control arms with just the leveling kit. No exhaust issues either. Really simplifies things for a rig that will be used for mild trails and IMO is a good looking setup.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:08 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Daystar makes a 3/4" spacer setup and 2" spacer setup. These don't increase travel, just the spring seat height. No alignment other than re-centering the steering wheel slightly. No exhaust or driveshaft issues because the original stock down travel (set by the original shock and mounts) is maintained.

Regarding the "rake" -- If you haul a people and stuff in the back it will tend to level out. If you install a higher lift in the front so it sits level unloaded, it will tend to nose up as it's loaded.

Last edited by Mr.T; 07-08-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: New to forum, have some ?'s