Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jk. Looking for advice on lift wheels and tires.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jk. Looking for advice on lift wheels and tires.

Im sure this is asked every day by new guys like me. But here goes. I am on a budget and looking to start lifting and putting wheels and tires on. First question is: Is it ok to just do a suspension lift first then tires and wheels. Second: Im not looking for crazy lift(or crazy priced). Thinking just a 2.5 so I can put some 33's on. But I keep hearing bad things about rock country. This is a DD and I want to keep some of the factory smoothness to the ride. But be able to get out there and get off road. Any thoughts?
Old 04-23-2013, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you're only going with 33s you can just do a 2" budget boost for now for $200, and when the addiction kicks in and you start adding everything else, then get a real lift
Old 04-23-2013, 04:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd start out with a budget boost too, 2"-2.5" You'll maintain the factory ride quality without breaking the bank
Old 04-23-2013, 05:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You can get out there and get offroad right now. You don't need a lift or new tires.

You don't need 2.5" for 33's.

'Rough' Country has a low price point and serves that sector of the market, giving relatively complete packages compared to some other vendors offerings at the same price. As long as you don't go in to it expecting a $2000 lift on a $300 budget, you'll be ok. Just do your homework - look at exactly which components are included and find out if there are any considerations to be aware of. (Drop Pitman, Frame-side brackets, and Cam Bolts come to mind)

If you haven't read through the FAQ's, this is as good a time as any. (stickied at the top of this modified area)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tortured myself over this same question. In the end you need to be honest with yourself about the type of offroading you are going to do. Are you going to go Rock Crawling? If so save up and go with e complete kit that replaces the control arms and doesn't use brackets to adjust geometry. If you are looking for just gaining additional height for trails, beach, and snow, then a budget set up is good here. I would suggest Old Man Emu or even Rancho especially if they have their Shock and Awe special they have run the last two years. I have their Sport 4in lift and have 0 regrets. I love it and its perfect for the offroading I do.

As nthinuf stated, 33's fit nicely on a stock JK. I love the look. If you want 35's later on then go with a 3 in lift. If you lift now and plan to put tires on later, I would tell you that you will buy tires sooner than you think. stock tires on any lift will look goofy.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with a Daystar 1 3/4" Comfort Lift and a set of springs off a 4 door Rubi. Got the lift and a good ride.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by powrsurg
I tortured myself over this same question. In the end you need to be honest with yourself about the type of offroading you are going to do. Are you going to go Rock Crawling? If so save up and go with e complete kit that replaces the control arms and doesn't use brackets to adjust geometry.
x2 on this. On my YJ I started out with a 2" shackle lift and 31s. I then got the itch to go higher and added another 4.5" via springs. My JK started out with a 2.5 lift, then got a 4" Long Arm, and now has another 1" thanks to spacers...

If you plan to run Hammer type trails then (depending on 2 or 4 door) I'd either run a 4" lift on the 2 dr and 35s... If you're in a 4 door I'd run a 5 or 6 inch lift with 35s or 37s. (this all boils down to breakover angles)

If the budget is a big issue (as it usually is with Jeeps) I'd start with a 2 or 2.5" budget boost and 33s. Wheel that for a while and learn how to drive. My YJ on 31s went places a lot of guys on 35s couldn't go... I learned to pick good lines, listen to spotters, and how to drive. Now with my JK I can run a lot of the "buggy lines" and come out unscathed because I did my time as the smallest Jeep on the trail and learned to drive. Thankfully I had folks around me that were patient and worked with me.

Just remember, 20 years ago the cool guys had 33s, 10 years ago 35s... Now it is just madness.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

It's all good advise. Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsEZ
I learned to pick good lines, listen to spotters, and how to drive.
Not to get off topic but the first time I really went wheeling with this Jeep I wanted to buy my spotter a case of beer when we were done. A good spotter is worth their weight in gold.

IMO most people who go with 33's end up going to 35's or wish they could. I don't know what kind of Jeep you have Tommy or what gears are in it. If you have a 2012/13 Rubicon, go with 35's and 3-4in lift since you already have good gears. If you have 3:73 gears and don't want to spend the money regearing your Jeep, stick with nthinuf's advise and get a 2.5 lift with 33 in tires. There are many 2.5in budget lifts out there well under 1k. Just remember a budget lift doesn't buy you a rock crawler.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good advice from the other posters. I opted to go with a 2.5" Coil lift and upgraded to 35's. You could run the 2.5" with 33's with wheel spacers and it will give you a better stance and won't look too bad. Search for this on the forum...

BTW... I bought a lift and it sat in the garage for almost a year before I could buy the tires and rims.

Quick Reply: New Jk. Looking for advice on lift wheels and tires.