Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Lift, new gears, new bumpers - New Noise!!

Old 05-11-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lift, new gears, new bumpers - New Noise!!

Ok Folks, this is my first thread here and would like to say thank you to everyone who might be able to help me with this problem.

Three weeks ago I bought a used, stock 08 Rubi. I put it in the shop and did a gear swap to 5.13 gears, a 3.25" lift, 35" tires, Rock Hard front and rear bumpers and some KC lights. I was super pumped about getting it back so after I paid the man (ouch!) I drove it home (about 20 miles) with no problems. BUT the next day I started hearing a noise that would start at about 45 MPH. The noise is like a grinding noise whenever I add power or take power off.

We have had the JK on the lift for two days now looking. We finally dropped the rear drive shaft and drove it in front wheel high and that eliminated the noise so we think it's something to do with the rear drive line. Now, we haven't removed the rear cover plate on the differential yet, but the grinding doesn't seem to be like a whinning that you would hear from a bad set of gears. Also, there doesn't seem to be any backlash either. I am thinking that it might be in the rear driveshaft, but it wasn't making this noise before I did the lift and gear swap. I have has as many as two mechanics at a time looking but nothing is jumping out at us.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Again

Dan
Old 05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

Could be the Rzeppa joints have gone bad - 3.25 inch lift, if it is a two door, is pushing it for these joints, esp if one is almost bad. Then again, could be in the rear pumpkin if they did not get the right shims in place or something like that...
Old 05-11-2010, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

This is a four door with 29K on it. We are still going to open the differential cover tomorrow just to take a look, but it really doesn't sound like a typical gear noise.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 PM
JK Newbie

check the rear parking brake my jeep is making a grinding or scraping noise almost as if the parking brake is partially enabled hope this helps...
Old 06-25-2010, 03:50 AM
JK Newbie

Actually,

This was posted a while back and we DID have to re-gear the rear. Seems that every once in a while a set of "soft" gears gets out of the factory. Since then, she's been quiet as a church mouse.

Quick Reply: New Lift, new gears, new bumpers - New Noise!!