Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New lift re-assembly process question

Old 11-30-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New lift re-assembly process question

2015 JK Sport. I did a 2" AEV lift. The instructions had me re-torque the different suspension pieces before putting the wheels on and putting it on the ground. I have read on a forum this should be done after it is at ride height on the ground. Can someone clarify for me and should I reloosen and re-torque any suspension pieces with it on the ground. Thanks
Old 11-30-2015, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on which suspension parts you are talking about. Shocks, sway bar links... Those can be done with the wheels off the ground. Control arms, arms on the other hand, should be torqued at ride height with the wheels on the ground so that you don't bind up the joints with everything in a weird position.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

So should I loosen the track bar and UCA/LCA and retorque? It seems to drive ok as it is. Thanks
Old 11-30-2015, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bg15jkliler
So should I loosen the track bar and UCA/LCA and retorque? It seems to drive ok as it is. Thanks
If you tightened those bolts while it was up off the ground, then yes. It might drive just fine but you want the bushings to be in the "centered" position when the Jeep is sitting level on the ground to allow them to flex in both directions as intended.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks
Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, loosen the control arms and track bar while on the ground. Otherwise, they are in a state of constant bind. The joints will wear faster and steering could be impacted.

That said, read the instructions more carefully. I just downloaded them from the AEV website.

Last step: Reinstall wheels and tighten lug nuts, working in a “star pattern.” Place Jeep on level ground.
Reconnect the drive shaft making sure to properly align your marks.
Reconnect the track bar at the axle side using the hardware saved from disassembly.
Tighten all fasteners, front and rear, to factory specifications (See Appendix).
Old 12-01-2015, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, you are correct. Those instructions were on the back of the last page. My bad.

Quick Reply: New lift re-assembly process question