Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New noise out of the blue

Old 01-04-2008, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New noise out of the blue

I havent done anything new to the rubicon in months. I wake up yesterday morning (the first night of freezing temps) and as i drove down the street, I hear a sort of grinding noise comming from mid way to back of the jeep. To sum up the sound of the grinding, if you have ever heard on front wheel drive cars when the cv jopint is going bad (that sort of clicking / grind sound) is the sound I hear. It only does it, when in gear and giving it gas. Sound goes away shortly after about 8 miles. So when it warms up, it goes away. Then yesterday as I was leaving work (above freezing temps) it does it again. Again by the time I get a few miles from work it goes away. Im wondering if its a possibility I may have some water in my rear diff. Im goign to pull to cover off this weekend and take a look and visually inspect everything. The driveshafts and boots look good. No leaking of grease from the shafts, boots still intact. All this past week it has been fine. The absolute only thing I have done to the jeep this week was pulled the carpet/seats and hurculined the tub. So nothing mechanical has been done. I double checked all my bolts from teh seats etc. Nothing is loose. I may have to take it to my buddies shop sat, leave it over night and put it on the rack sunday morning while its cold and run it through some gears to see if we can pinpoint the location its comming from. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

bump..............
Old 01-04-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It could have been ice build up on the joint.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know a lot of folks including myself had the grinding at the front driverside axle seal. Maybe it was that and started when the temp dropped and the seal adjusted to the cold??? I realize that you mention it coming from the mid area, but just a thought.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
It could have been ice build up on the joint.
I think shrinkage would not allow that
Old 01-05-2008, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dunno yet. I will be workign on it some more this weekend. Just to satisfy my curiosity, I will be pulling anything in the interior (rear storage cover, jack, any tools) to make sure its not something vibrating. Because I havent heard it, untill I put those things back in after the hurculiner was put in. Im also wondering if it may have something to do with vibrations from the hard top sitting on the herculiner. I ended up doing the bedrails that the hard top sits on.

Quick Reply: New noise out of the blue