Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

New Wheels Are Should I Powder Coat

Old 02-11-2008, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheels Are Should I Powder Coat

I was just wondering for those that have there rubicon wheels powder coated if they wish they had just bought wheels instead i am in a bit of bind and dont know what route to go Ether Powder coat wheels Are KMC Enduros in black
Old 02-11-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

Very interested in this....Also, want to weld on a beadlock conversion kit.

Keep this thread alive.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Junkie

I'm planning to use the Hammered paint on mine until I can replace the wheels. it's easy to touch-up when needed and have had several members say it holds up well provided you apply it properly.

I've seen several that have done the powder coat as well and they look really nice. if you plan to leave them for a while or you find an awesome deal on it, go ahead and do it, otherwise just save to get the new wheels.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just Paint and Save

I'd say if you can afford them, get the wheels. I wouldn't waste the money on the powdercoat if there's any chance that you'll get the enduros within the next few years. $500 can buy a lot of other things. That said, I'm satisfied for a while after painting my rims using the clean/sand/prime/hammered approach. It looks good and I won't be killing myself whenever the rims meet the rocks as i can fix it for about $0.25. I'm sure I'll find a way to justify the new wheels when it's tire time, but hopefully I'll have bumpers and more fun stuff by then.

-shawn
Old 02-12-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

i talked to my local powder coater and he said they would run about 30 dollars a wheel but i would have to buy wheel spacers with large tires but the black rubicon wheels look good a hell it may just be easer though to buy wheels after the hassel of taking the tires of and on and the same proseses al over again
Old 02-12-2008, 01:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highergr0und
I'd say if you can afford them, get the wheels. I wouldn't waste the money on the powdercoat if there's any chance that you'll get the enduros within the next few years. $500 can buy a lot of other things. That said, I'm satisfied for a while after painting my rims using the clean/sand/prime/hammered approach. It looks good and I won't be killing myself whenever the rims meet the rocks as i can fix it for about $0.25. I'm sure I'll find a way to justify the new wheels when it's tire time, but hopefully I'll have bumpers and more fun stuff by then.

-shawn
Good job, they look nice, have any more pics?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

This might work.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheel.html
Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wvmtnbiker
The only issue I see with this paint, is that it's more to fix/restore the appearance of you wheel, so I'm not sure how it will hold up off road (as it says, "track tested"). Not saying the hammered is great, but it will take a little more abuse than regular paint. You may find you have to touch up more often, but maybe not.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same dilema you have. All in all new rims only cost a few hundred more then a powder coat and are a better route in my opinion. I bought the American racing chambers rims in teflon and felt it was extra money well spent. Also I could see myself down the road disapointed with the stock rims.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hammered Paint

The best thing about the hammered paint is that the texturing makes overspray and repairs near impossible to notice. The wheels I did with it look great. The TV stand that I did with a standard gloss black spray paint not so much.

Quick Reply: New Wheels Are Should I Powder Coat