Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Newbie help - 1st Mod problems

Old 08-26-2007, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCD
...my front right sway bar (?) connect was hanging loose at the top connection...
It appears from the picture that the lower sway bar mount stud is loose, and the bushing is obviously missing. Was the swaybar attached the entire time you were off road? If you have hitch pins holding them on, a rock or something could have knocked the pin out, allowing the link to slide off. If there was enough tension on it when it came off it could have pulled the bushing out. I don't have an answer for you about the shock, but the shaft does not look bent at all. Is it possible that it is just a defective part?
Old 08-26-2007, 05:15 PM
OCD
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully I get some answers from the dealer tomorrow. There was a pin in the sway bar -- I used the electronic disconnect once. As to the shock, it's a clean break -- so hopefully a simple defect is the answer.

I'll post the outcome -- thanks everyone.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 PM
OCD
JK Newbie

Took my JK Rubicon (RE 3.5 lift, ProComp Extreme MT 315 70R-17) back to 4 wheel parts in Laguna Hills this morning. The snapped rear shock seems to be just a fluke -- defective part. It snapped clean, so the speculation is it had a fracture from the factory.

Front sway bar connection is less clear. When they installed the lift, I was told that RE lift is no problem with the electronic disconnect. When I brought in this morning, I was told that I should always remove the pins, even though I have the electronic disconnect. I am not sure whether the original bolt was not put on correctly or not, but it seems to be a minor issue -- I will just pull the pins instead of using the electronic disconnect.

4Wheels parts is treating me right- they immediately said "no problems, we'll take care of everytning."

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a guy locally that has installed several 3 and 4 inch lifts on rubi's. The only thing he does is extend the length of the current links. He does not use disconnects on the rubis. He has had no problems. I went to him because I had one of my links pop out (just like yours) when turning a corner. I bought some teraflex quick disconnects and have had no problems. I don't have a rubi so need the disconnets.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:30 PM
OCD
JK Newbie

Does not quite seem right that I have to manually disconnect with the electronic system. Rubicon Express has longer arms with the kit, so they should be long enough. I was going to just disconnect manually, but I may look into it further. If you want to pass the name and number of the guy you have locally (OC?), I'll save it as a reference.

Quick Reply: Newbie help - 1st Mod problems