Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Newbie Questions on a JK Build

Old 10-28-2014, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions on a JK Build

I will try to make this short and sweet in order to make this easier. I have a 14 JK Sport and I am currently in possession of 325/70/17 (35x12.5x17) Tires and Rims. I am looking to know what my beginner options are for light off roading and mostly a daily driver.

I was looking at a 2.5 in TF lift kit BB and a 1.25 Rough Country Body Lift.

Do I need axle sleeves with this set up? Is there a better choice in what I should do? (Roughly 1200 Budget)

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 10-29-2014, 12:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

There's a really great sticky thread written by Dirtman at the top of this sub-forum. Recommend that you read it, then start asking questions from there ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Old 10-29-2014, 07:11 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TBanks8
I will try to make this short and sweet in order to make this easier. I have a 14 JK Sport and I am currently in possession of 325/70/17 (35x12.5x17) Tires and Rims. I am looking to know what my beginner options are for light off roading and mostly a daily driver.

I was looking at a 2.5 in TF lift kit BB and a 1.25 Rough Country Body Lift.

Do I need axle sleeves with this set up? Is there a better choice in what I should do? (Roughly 1200 Budget)

Thanks for the help in advance!
For 35's you don't really need to go as far as sleeves for light wheeling, you may want to look at upper C gussets for the front axle but other then that a 2.5" kit will get you the clearance for a 35" tire. we have some pretty good options for what you are looking to achieve as well! Don't hesitate to ask if you need more info.

RK
Old 10-29-2014, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Appreciate the responses. Sorry, I will do more research next time on the forum. I had done a bit and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Wont happen again.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TBanks8
Appreciate the responses. Sorry, I will do more research next time on the forum. I had done a bit and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Wont happen again.
Don't worry about it. That sticky is there so those of us who've been around awhile can point it out. Sometimes info is bit difficult to find on the forum, and we all know that. Reading that sticky first will give you a lot more solid place from which to ask questions. With 3.5 million posts out there, it's very unlikely that any of us can always avoid repeating some question that's been asked before. LOL.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
For 35's you don't really need to go as far as sleeves for light wheeling, you may want to look at upper C gussets for the front axle but other then that a 2.5" kit will get you the clearance for a 35" tire. we have some pretty good options for what you are looking to achieve as well! Don't hesitate to ask if you need more info.

RK
If you have that kind of budget, you absolutely cannot go wrong with a 2.5 inch Rock Krawler Max Travel. I was in your shoes not too long ago and once I got more into wheeling learning what I want and liked vs what I didn't the one thing I never regretted was my RK max travel, and their systems are upgradable if you find yourself wanting more down the road. I didn't mean this to be an advertisement for RK, I'm just on my second RK system, a mid arm, and have loved them both from day 1. Just my two cents.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

There are tons and tons of threads related to this. There's a search bar you can use to find your answer
Old 10-29-2014, 01:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The search on this site kinda sucks. Use Google instead. Type in " site:JK Forum | " followed by your search string.

Will you be trimming your flares or going to flats? Many people here seem to be anti-body lift, so expect some comments on that. But, if you want to run 35's with untrimmed stock flares and only a 2.5" BB, a BL may be a good option. I ran the RC 1.25" BL for several years with no issues, just recently took it off.

As far as the lift itself goes, the Tera 2.5" BB is very popular, there are a ton of threads to read through from current/previous users. The only real question there might be how much weight you plan on adding. Steel bumpers, armor, winch, a ton of gear, and you would be much better off with new coils.

C-Gussets for the front housing. If you want a bit more, and want to keep the costs down, look for a few threads on the Nitro sleeves rather than weld-in sleeves.

If you want pics, go down to JK Show & Tell. You will find huge threads dedicated to pretty much any configuration you could want. (or google that search string with whatever you want to see. Like " site:www.jk-forum.com 2.5" 35's " to find threads on 2.5" lifts with 35" tires.

If you want to see member writeups on lift installs, go up in JK Writeups, click the index at the top, and scroll down. (I don't think the links are working). And if you scroll down to the steering or troubleshooting sections, you will also find a DIY Alignment writeup. With that lift, unless you add new adjustable components, the only things an alignment shop will be able to do for you is to recenter the steering wheel (a wrench and 5 minutes of your time) and adjust the Toe (it won't change with the lift, so assuming it is good now, they won't touch it). They will not be able to adjust the Caster, the Camber, or re-center the axles. So just a heads up to put some thought into it before automatically running down to pay them for doing nothing.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-29-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions on a JK Build