Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

noob winch question

Old 08-21-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob winch question

I am about to mount a warn winch on my JK. For weight reduction purposes I plan to switch out the steel cable with a synthetic one in a few months. Will I need to remove the winch for any reason to do the cable swap? if so I will switch the cable before I mount it. Common sense is telling me that I can do it while mouted....but I just want to make sure I do not have to remove the winch or fairlead later to remove a bolt or anything.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 08-21-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Yes, you can do it when its already mounted. I did the same thing. It's supposed to save 45lbs I think I was told.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by randyd
Yes, you can do it when its already mounted. I did the same thing. It's supposed to save 45lbs I think I was told.
Dang! I have no idea but I never would have believed that the cable on a winch would weigh 45 pounds. That being said going to synthetic is a very good idea safety wise.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by randyd

Is this true? I had no idea it was that drastic.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dburgette
Is this true? I had no idea it was that drastic.
I think more like about 25-30 pounds. And that includes swapping out the roller fairlead for a Hawse.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

It would typically include the roller fairlead swap to a hawse fairlead in a 45 lb loss figure...

I saved about 45 lb on my swap...but, I had 125' of wire rope on there to start with, and the heavy duty Warn roller fairlead, which weighs more than the lighter cheapo roller fairleads I see every where.

Food for thought:

The stock bumper itself weighed about 45 lb too...so, swapping in a stubby shrock for the stock bumper is for example ~ a break even weight scenario.

Swapping in synthetic winch line, etc...is ~ equivalent to removing the bumper's weight.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: noob winch question