Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Now what.. rear swaybar issue..

Old 05-03-2011, 01:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Now what.. rear swaybar issue..

This past weekend I helped my friend install his rk 3.5 max lift on his 2dr.. so part of the install was to move the rear swaybar back one inch. This kept the links straight. So I looked at mine and my links have been quite pointed forward for a while... So it clicked.. I needed to move mine back to make the links straight up n down. So what I did was remove both mount bolts on both sides and move the whole thing back so the front hole now goes into the rear frame hole. I drilled and tapped the new hole for back mount. Links are perfectly up and down now. But I have two new issues. And all issues are on rt side except how close the links are to the tire sidewall.. the pass link is right in the center of the frame trackbar bracket and there is maybe 1/16" clearance between the link nut and bracket. Also the links are about 3/4" from sidewall..

So what should I do.?? Do I move the bar forward, do I move it back more to clear the trackbar bracket?? Should I get new wheels with less bs?? I flexed it and when the rr is stuffed the link just kisses the tire sidewall.

Help from experienced ppl is greatly needed. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Jedi

Here is a few pics... All of right side.
And yes I'm running spacrs.. specs in Sig.
thunderbolt via tapatalk.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

looks to me like you're either running factory wheels or wheels with too much backspacing. wheel spacers and or new wheels with 4.5" of back spacing or less should fix the sidewall contact issue. also, if you are seeing this problem only on one side, your axle is most likely not centered. if you don't already have one, you need an adjustable track bar to help correct this.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might try turning your links upside down,depending on what type of joint you have on the bottom of them.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wayoflife
looks to me like you're either running factory wheels or wheels with too much backspacing. wheel spacers and or new wheels with 4.5" of back spacing or less should fix the sidewall contact issue. also, if you are seeing this problem only on one side, your axle is most likely not centered. if you don't already have one, you need an adjustable track bar to help correct this.
I have track bars and the axle is centered. Moving the track bar more won't change the space between the sway bar and the mount because both are mounted to the frame. Before I moved the sway bar the link was between the bumpstop and the trackbar bracket. Now the link is in the center of the bracket.

Yes factory wheels with spidertrax ..
The links are the northridge links.
Other issue is if I run the bottom link on the outside it hits the caliper when flexing lightly.. So bottoms are on inside and uppers are outiside because I feel better and it looks better with the top outside also cause the link is smooth and round on that side.
I also have eve rock stars.

Last edited by rinkishJK; 05-03-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just looked at mine. Shorten your links an inch. my links are about even with the rim and have plenty of clearence.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Judging from this pic, you might be able to flip the sway bar link to the other side of the sway bar arm? ...if that makes sense? I could have sworn I read of this being suggested somewhere else?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi

If I do that it hits the bracket totally. The way it is now has clearance...only a tiny bit.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi

Anyone else have any ideas???

Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am not really experienced but just a dumb question. Did you put a rear track bar extender bracket in??? My kit didn't come with one and I had to order it. I noticed that my sway bar was really close and then read about needing the bracket. Once I put it in it was fine!

Last edited by deltaneo1; 05-04-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Now what.. rear swaybar issue..