Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Observations with new Track Bar and Adjustable Control Arms

Old 03-03-2009, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Observations with new Track Bar and Adjustable Control Arms

I was one of those who argued against the need for an adjustable track bar and arms in the front, and that the stock set up was fine.

I installed 3 inch springs, (which gave me a measured 4 inches of lift), and a track bar bracket to adjust the rear track bar. It drove great, so I had no complaints (except for some bump steer).

Then the death wobble after 20k miles of trouble free driving. Don't know why. For a short term fix, I lowered my air pressure and replaced the steering stabilizer, but I could still tell it was not right. At the point that the wobble would start, I sill had a weird vibration run through the entire Jeep.

I broke down and installed and adjustable track bar in the front, and centered the front axle. Boy did that make a difference. Reduced the bump steer, and greatly reduced that weird vibration from the death wobble.

I just installed the adjustable control arms, and set the caster at 7 degrees positive caster.

I must admit that I had been wrong.

Wayoflife and the others here are right on. The vibration (death wobble) is completely gone, the bump steer is completely gone, and an unexpected bi-product, is some squeaks and rattles are also gone! I am thinking that some of the squeaks and rattles are inferior suspension parts sending noises through the entire vehicle.

Now this thing is aligned perfectly, drives perfectly, and is tight as a drum and quieter than when new.

So, for those of you like me that doubted (or are too cheap) that these parts will make that much of a difference, take it from me that they do! Makes my JK drive better than new.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:00 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think someone with death wobble needs to post a clip of it. I really doubt you had "death wobble" Any ole vibration does not mean death wobble. Maybe you had it and maybe not. But years ago I was in a bone stock YJ that got the death wobble. It felt like the whole Jeep was going to shake to pieces. It was on the freeway in Los Angelas, and my uncle (driving, it was his jeep) was barely able to slow down and pull over... it felt like it was going to flip over or explode. IMO... that was the death wobble. I can't see how anyone with that going on would try to fix it with tire pressure or anything. I am not trying to blast you or anything... and it may very well be the wobble, it just seems like what I was in and something described as vibration is 2 diff things? Maybe not.

The correct caster makes the jeep drive great doesn't it? I got tons of lift from the teraflex 3" I just put on, and it handles way better than the 2" kit I had before. I swear it feels more sporty and "connected". It was not bad before at all, but It feels great now!!! Adj. Control arms are a must have IMO!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:09 PM
JK Freak

Oh, you mean the DEATH Wobble?
You mean that uncontrollable shaking that makes you wonder the the dang thing is going to fall to a million peaces if you don't get the thing stopped right now? Kinda like both front wheels are like one of those really bad shopping cart wheels? The kind that afterward you need to change your shorts? The kind that made me alost trade this thing in immediately (or push it off a cliff)?

Yes, I know the death wobble, and yes I had it.

My point is that I put a band aide on it by changing the steering stabilizer, and lowering the tire pressure. There is a very specific spot on my way to work, on a curve that had weird pavement grooves that would set it off 100% of the time no matter what speed. Scared me to death (no pun intended).....

After I changed the air pressure and steering stabilizer, that same spot would send a weird shudder thfough the jeep, like it wanted to start, but didn't. I knew then I had not solved my problem, just masked it.

I think you kinda missed my whole point.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Junkie

Adjustable track bar and control arms made a HUGE difference in how the Jeep feels driving now. I cant even begin to tell you how different it feels since I changed out those parts. I no longer cringe at every pothole or uneven spot in the road.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
JK Jedi

Wow this makes me want to get these even on my stock setup!

I have never had death wobble (knock on wood) but every pothole or expansion joint I hit in the road send a vibration through the whole Jeep. You think this is worthwhile on a stock setup?

And yes I have tried tightening everything, and I do have steel wheels with 4.25 backspacing and E rated Silent Armors which doesn't help any as you can imagine.

Also what brand did you go with and how do you set the caster yourself?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Freak

I went with the Terraflex adjustable control arms. Very heavy.

They are adjustable by unscrewing the Heim joint end to lengthen them, and measure with an angle finder. I think Wayoflife has a great write up on this with pictures explaining it better than I can.

I am not sure for stock, but if you plan any lift at all I would do it definately. I was shocked to have the irritating little door rattle (if you could call it a rattle) disappear with the arm install. I thought it was an anomoly, but it has not returned.

Pretty cool...
Old 03-03-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Jedi

Very cool I must look into these. You think I can just get away with these and keep the stock trackbar?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Wow this makes me want to get these even on my stock setup!

I have never had death wobble (knock on wood) but every pothole or expansion joint I hit in the road send a vibration through the whole Jeep. You think this is worthwhile on a stock setup?

And yes I have tried tightening everything, and I do have steel wheels with 4.25 backspacing and E rated Silent Armors which doesn't help any as you can imagine.

Also what brand did you go with and how do you set the caster yourself?
Well, you have a two door, so it is not going to be as smooth as the larger/longer 4 doors. What is your tire pressure? My JK rode like a lumber wagon, until I aired down to 30#, now my ride is a little better than stock.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Torrin
Well, you have a two door, so it is not going to be as smooth as the larger/longer 4 doors. What is your tire pressure? My JK rode like a lumber wagon, until I aired down to 30#, now my ride is a little better than stock.
I am at 30 PSI however the roads here are riddled with potholes so every bump, pothole ect I hit I get vibration through the Jeep. Its not death wobble but its annoying and its a lot worse in the cold.

I am thinking lower control arms would reduce it further. My castor also is a little off due to installing rubi springs and 3/4 spacers, but not much.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I feel your pain literally.
I had death wobble. After an alignment, new wheels and tires, and
Clayton adjustable upper control arms my wobble is gone.
I may go with the adjustable track bar in the near future.
In Tera Flex's description they say that their 2.5 coil lift shouldn't need
an adjustable track bar, but I was also told no need for adjustable
control arms too....

Quick Reply: Observations with new Track Bar and Adjustable Control Arms