Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OEM Mechanical Fan Retrofit

Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
Back in the old days, the water pump housing was cast iron, to days water pumps are aluminum and plastic (which in my opinion) is not worth taking the chance of bolting a fan to the water pump, how ever its true the electric fan also could be damaged when I hit the water, but at least it won't affect the water pump housing.

I can't believe this thread is still going !
Aluminum water pumps with fans on them have been around for quite a while.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mechanical fan update

I spoke recently with Ron (ronjenx) regarding this install. I too have recently completed the install using all Mopar parts. I have removed the stock electric fan and have so far, seen a dramatic cooling of my engine bay and a more consistent cooling temperature of the radiator fluid. I too have a trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator and it's keeping the trans temps about 10-15 degrees cooler than before with just the electric fan. I live in Southern California and recently, temps out here have been over 100. I'm very satisfied with the results so far and don't expect any negative changes to occur. Like Ron said, the noise is negligible as is the gas mileage drop. My trans temps used to be in the 140 range with the added trans cooler and are now about 120-125. I'm not really feeling any power loss in the engines ability to pull me up my local inclined roads but maybe that's because I'm so used to the lack of power in these 3.8's anyway.

The comment was made in an earlier post that the aluminum water pump housing may not be able to handle the fan. This should not be any problem as long as the fan and clutch are close to being balanced and not putting any added stress on the bearing. The only stress the clutch bearing should be experiencing is an outward pull (toward the radiator) due to the fan pulling air into itself.

I had previously added louvers to my hood for heat extraction and can now feel major air flow coming out of them. With the electric fan, I felt it but it was not flowing anywhere like it is now. I highly recommend this modification to those who live in hot areas or trail crawl and wish to keep temps down to sensible levels.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Update:

I decided to install the electric fan that is designed to be used with the mechanical fan. It has been in the 90's here lately, so I figured it's a good time to try it out.

I haven't seen much difference in engine/transmission, etc, cooling. The engine is still running around thermostat temp, and the transmission continues to run in the 90°F - 130°F range.

I have seen a pretty good improvement in A/C performance, though.

With just the mechanical fan, the output temp of the air from the center vents has been in the warmer half of the 20° range of acceptable performance.

For example, the acceptable output temp at 90°F ambient is 48°F to 69°F, when all the controls are set for MAX cooling.
With just the mechanical fan, the output temp has typically been around 60°F. Not great, but within the acceptable range.

After adding the electric fan, which comes on when A/C is selected, the output temp (@ 90°F ambient) is in the cooler half of the range, around 52°F.

So, when it was in the mid 90’s, with the high sun beating down on my black Jeep, there was a very noticeable improvement in the A/C’s ability to keep it cool inside the Jeep.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-22-2013 at 07:18 AM. Reason: corrected 2 typos
Old 07-21-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Update:

I decided to install the electric fan that is designed to be used with the mechanical fan. It has been in the 90's here lately, so I figured it's a good time to try it out.

I haven't seen much difference in engine/transmission, etc, cooling. The engine is still running around thermostat temp, and the transmission continues to run in the 90°F - 130°F range.

I have seen a pretty good improvement in A/C performance, though.

With just the mechanical fan, the output temp of the air from the center vents has been in the warmer half of the 20° range of acceptable performance.

For example, the acceptable output temp at 90°F ambient is 45°F to 64°F, when all the controls are set for MAX cooling.
With just the mechanical fan, the output temp has typically been around 60°F. Not great, but within the acceptable range.

After adding the electric fan, which comes on when A/C is selected, the output temp (@ 90°F ambient) is in the cooler half of the range, around 52°F.

So, when it was in the mid 90’s, with the high sun beating down on my black Jeep, there was a very noticeable improvement in the A/C’s ability to keep it cool inside the Jeep.
Interesting Ron. What did the electrical fan cost? Were you able to use the old electric fan and buy just the mounting arms, or is it a whole unit?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
Interesting Ron. What did the electrical fan cost? Were you able to use the old electric fan and buy just the mounting arms, or is it a whole unit?
I used the electric fan as shown in the first post, 4th photo. It came as an assembly.
I don't recall what the cost was. I remember it was at a significant discount because I found it at a Jeep dealer in Alaska. The parts guy figured he'd never sell it due to being so far north. I think he even covered the shipping, too.
The motor is the same as the OEM fan motor.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This has been moved to the top of my to-do list for next year. Couple of quick questions:
1. Is there a specific year/make/model that the CarQuest fan clutch fits? Or is it a generic part? There isn't a CarQuest that close to me, but I do have an over abundance of O'Reillys and Autozones to choose from...but they always want year/make/model to look for a part and I'm not sure they can cross reference a CarQuest part number.
2. Has anyone is a hotter state installed just the mechanical fan without the aux electric one? It gets 100+*F here in Oklahoma regularly during the summer and while I think that just a mechanical fan would be ok, I'd like to get an opinion on whether the aux electric one will be needed as well. Don't want to have to give up the a/c while I'm ordering parts
Old 12-18-2013, 06:39 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by HiTekRedneck327
This has been moved to the top of my to-do list for next year. Couple of quick questions:
1. Is there a specific year/make/model that the CarQuest fan clutch fits? Or is it a generic part? There isn't a CarQuest that close to me, but I do have an over abundance of O'Reillys and Autozones to choose from...but they always want year/make/model to look for a part and I'm not sure they can cross reference a CarQuest part number.
2. Has anyone is a hotter state installed just the mechanical fan without the aux electric one? It gets 100+*F here in Oklahoma regularly during the summer and while I think that just a mechanical fan would be ok, I'd like to get an opinion on whether the aux electric one will be needed as well. Don't want to have to give up the a/c while I'm ordering parts
The Car Quest number 77292 crosses to Hayden 2781 at O'Rielly's, $49.99, with a lifetime warranty. Call your local O'Rielly's to make sure.

I'm not sure what you mean about giving up the A/C while ordering parts.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-18-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. I just meant if the motor got too hot with the a/c running without the aux electric fan to kick on. Maybe I'm over-thinking that as a possible scenario?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

does the added electric fan mount on the inside of the radiator?

I run a RIPP SC and had to put the transmission cooler between the radiator and the engine. Not sure if I would have room?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by HiTekRedneck327
Thanks for the info. I just meant if the motor got too hot with the a/c running without the aux electric fan to kick on. Maybe I'm over-thinking that as a possible scenario?
I think your engine/transmission will still be cooler with the mechanical fan, even with the a/c on.

My testing indicates the a/c benefits from having the additional air of both fans. (My electric fan comes on only when the a/c is on.)
My a/c worked fine without the electric fan when the temps were in the 90s. With your temps getting well into the 100s, I'd want the electric fan, too.

For the electric fan all you need is the bracket. The motor and blades will transfer from the OEM bracket.

Quick Reply: OEM Mechanical Fan Retrofit