Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OEM Mechanical Fan Retrofit

Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by PhxRainey
does the added electric fan mount on the inside of the radiator?

I run a RIPP SC and had to put the transmission cooler between the radiator and the engine. Not sure if I would have room?
The electric fan mounts directly to the back of the radiator, with a different bracket, in place of the stock electric fan.

I'm pretty sure you can't do the mechanical fan retrofit with the supercharger, if that's what you are thinking.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The electric fan mounts directly to the back of the radiator, with a different bracket, in place of the stock electric fan.

I'm pretty sure you can't do the mechanical fan retrofit with the supercharger, if that's what you are thinking.

Yea i think it would be too tight.....HEAT/POWER I guess I already choose
Old 05-02-2014, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Where did u get all off the parts at
Old 05-02-2014, 02:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by kenwopper89
Where did u get all off the parts at
...Dealer...
Old 05-02-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
...Dealer...
ok thanks electric fan won't work after a off-roading event so I'm going to go old school
Old 08-07-2014, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Retrofitted my JK with mechanical fan

While in ME visiting my friend Ronjenx we installed the mechanical fan and kept the electric fan on my 07 JK. The electric fan was retained and installed in the oem bracket for that purpose. The install looks like the photos Ron posted in his original conversion. All the parts are Chrysler parts. I purchased the bracket to remount the electric fan from Mr. King who fortunately found a source for this export part.

We removed the original bracket/shroud and installed the new bracket. The new bracket came with the 3 screws needed to hold the motor. The motor leads needed to be extended by about 3 inches to reach the motor inside the new shroud, we used waterproof crimp connectors. It is a bit tricky holding the fan/clutch assembly inside the large shroud and guiding the works into position but we did not have to remove the upper rad hose. The air filter box and coolant bottle were easy to pull out.

The shroud fits in and is held by existing mount points. With one person under the JK and one above, the clutch/fan is threaded onto the nose of the water pump. The fan has about a half inch clearance to the slightly longer oil filter I use. We put everything back together and drove to Ellsworth to test the install and visit the railroad.

The addition of the mechanical fan has dropped under hood temps and improved the AC performance. The coolant temp stays between 197 and 203 and the AT temp runs around 120 to 130 on the road as well as in hot city stop and go. Coolant temp used to cycle up to 215 at which point the electric fan came on. Electric fan now only runs with the AC on.

I should have done this conversion on one of my earlier trips up to visit. Many thanks to Ron for the idea and the hands-on help. And the weather was great.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Ronjenx, I might need some help with your PNs. I really like this idea. I'm not sure why it took me so long to stumble across it.

I contacted the local Car Quest but they closed recently. They are now an Advanced Auto.

The mechanical cooling fan, MOPAR PN 52079654AE, 76$ (free shipping) is available on Ebay. No problem there.

The thermal fan clutch, Car Quest PN 77292, might be Advanced Auto PN 215123, for $57 (in stock). It fits the 2007 Jeep Liberty from what I can tell. Does that sound right? I might physically check that one out againest a spare water pump I have.

The fan shroud is harder to find, MOPAR PN 55057123AB. (EDIT): I believe this is available but a little more expensive from the original thread; from the local Jeep dealer: $114 or from an online source (Quadratec) for $103.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited by ashdon3kids; 02-02-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone done this with the 3.6? Is there room or even the correct set up for a mechanical fan?
Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default @Ronjenx thread necro

This fan shroud that got put on, it will work with my 07 manual yes? I really couldn't come up with a different shroud after I perused through this whole thread. I'm not sure it would matter since my JK is a manual. I just need it to be a new shroud right? Got any input anyone/Ronjenx regarding the shroud part number listed at the beginning?
Old 09-18-2017, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Seizer
This fan shroud that got put on, it will work with my 07 manual yes? I really couldn't come up with a different shroud after I perused through this whole thread. I'm not sure it would matter since my JK is a manual. I just need it to be a new shroud right? Got any input anyone/Ronjenx regarding the shroud part number listed at the beginning?
There is a shroud of a different part number for JKs with 3.8L engine and manual transmission. I believe it is 68039594AA.
Be careful when you research it. Some places have the number applied to the regular shroud like the one you already have in your JK. Other places list it as fitting the diesel JK.

I don't know what the difference is between the two shrouds, (with automatic vs. manual).

Quick Reply: OEM Mechanical Fan Retrofit