Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ok, need to pull the trigger, Monotube or Hydro shocks ???

Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, need to pull the trigger, Monotube or Hydro shocks ???

Ok, after a couple attempts at trying to get suggestions on wether or not I should get Twin-Tube Hydro or Monotube gas shocks with my RE lift... how are the monotubes going to ride? Please give me the pros and cons of each please. I dont mind spending the extra money if its worth it but I need to justify the $130 increase in price.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless you pack your lwb full of fat chicks...and i mean full...get the monotube.

twin tubes will be crazy stiff for any sort of street application, while the monotubes work well both on and off-road.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by degenerate
unless you pack your lwb full of fat chicks...and i mean full...get the monotube.

twin tubes will be crazy stiff for any sort of street application, while the monotubes work well both on and off-road.
I don't think this is correct. The gas-charged monotubes should have a more "firm" ride. I have never had a problem with hydros and am now on my first set of gas-charged shocks. I think I liked the hydros better. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

are we talking about a nice responsive type of firm ride or a Deucenhalf type firm ride?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:24 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

All I can say is that on my TJ, I have ridden on more shocks than I would have cared to and can tell you that proper valving designed for the specific vehicle in question makes a big difference in the quality of your ride. And, while I have ridden on some hydros that offered a decent ride, they were nothing compared to a nitro. Nitro's in my opinion offer a firm responsive ride that iron out washboard roads, reduce plow/dive on turns/stops and eat up pot holes a lot better. Also, even with the best hydros I've run, on the rocks, they tended to feel too mushy and caused too much body roll. But, that's just my opinion.

Oh, if you're interested, nitros that I have run and really like a lot are: Old Man Emu, Full Traction M-Force, Walker Evans and Bilstein.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, i would pick Nitro's. I have had them on both of my prior pickups and they where firm, and tracked well and where predictable. No wishy/washy push or body roll. Granted those trucks where lowered and not lifted, but i still think it applies.

When i put a lift on this JK, i will be going with Nitro's once again.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

ok, I went ahead and ordered the RE 2" kit with the monotube shocks... i figure even if I dont like the shocks, i can sell them and buy others with minimal loss. Can't wait to get it!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OJMiles
ok, I went ahead and ordered the RE 2" kit with the monotube shocks... i figure even if I dont like the shocks, i can sell them and buy others with minimal loss. Can't wait to get it!!!
Naw, you won't regret it. From what I understand, RE has been working with Bilstein to get the valving of their shock on for the JK specifically. And again, from what I hear, the ride is sweet.

Quick Reply: Ok, need to pull the trigger, Monotube or Hydro shocks ???