Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Man Emu Suspension Setup

Old 01-26-2015, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Old Man Emu Suspension Setup

Alright, here we go... First post here as I just got my jeep a couple months ago. 2007 wrangler x 2 door. First thing i noticed was the forward rake that came with it. This is probably my least favorite aspect of the jeep followed closely by the 3.21 gears which i can deal with in account of fuel economy. I instantly craved a lift. PLEASE DON"T DISREGARD THIS AS ANOTHER NEWBIE THREAD ASKING WHICH LIFT IT THE BEST. OME instantly caught my attention with the countless reviews worshipping them. I have researched many other lifts and really feel OME is what i am looking for but I am open for suggestions. The only thing I have against OME is their differing lift heights. So i thought to just go with the light coils, but this would result in front sagging due to the winch and bumper in the near future. After further research, I found other OME coils with similar load rates as the front HD coil that come with the HD lift kit, but were 15mm shorter. For the rear coil I found a coil with a similar load rate to the medium rate for the 2DR (part #2617). People running a heavy front (2616) and medium rear (2617) are getting 3 in in front and 2 in lift in back. I found a front coil that is 15mm shorter than the 2616 that has the part number 2627 and a rear coil that is 25mm shorter than the 2617 that has the part number 2630 (to level out I could add 10mm OME packer). With this setup i should get about 2.4in lift up front and 1.4in lift in back. I feel like this is perfect for my Daily Driver and occasional offloading. It needs to be pleasant to drive 4 hr highway trips to and from college. I feel this is what i want but would really like secondary opinion before i pull the trigger.
Thanks for any help,
TILL
Old 01-26-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Send a PM to site sponsor Northridge 4x4, they have been offering mix and match ome coils for the JK since, well, probably since they came out. I got hd fronts/ md rears from them back in 08 (front bumper/winch, stock rear bumper).

In my case, it started out level. The front hd's did not sag/settle a bit over time, but the rears sagged maybe 1/2". Added spacers to level, and then the rears sagged again. Find some more reviews on mixing coil rates, and/or talk to the folks at NR4x4 for opinions before deciding.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

cool thanks for taking the time to respond. Your's sagged without adding any additional weight to the rear?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Default Old Man Emu Suspension Setup

Anyone else? I figured many people are worried about the lift height received with the HD lift.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Tilly
Your's sagged without adding any additional weight to the rear?
Just the spare.

33" and 35" spares on the stock carrier, then a 37" on the teraflex bracket/carrier. Also, the few times I swapped the hard top back on, there was a very noticeable drop, another 1/2"-3/4" maybe.

I have moved on to new coils, but if I were to do OME's again, it would be same rate front and rear.

Anyone else? I figured many people are worried about the lift height received with the HD lift.
There are already a bunch of threads on OME coils to read through, including many asking this same question. The search engine on this site kinda sucks, so use this in google, followed by the search string.

site:www.jk-forum.com

site:www.jk-forum.com ome coils (or whatever)

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-26-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Just the spare.

33" and 35" spares on the stock carrier, then a 37" on the teraflex bracket/carrier. Also, the few times I swapped the hard top back on, there was a very noticeable drop, another 1/2"-3/4" maybe.

I have moved on to new coils, but if I were to do OME's again, it would be same rate front and rear.

There are already a bunch of threads on OME coils to read through, including many asking this same question. The search engine on this site kinda sucks, so use this in google, followed by the search string.

site:JK Forum -

site:JK Forum - ome coils (or whatever)
Do you remember about how long it took to sag? But yeah it must because I have searched all over the freakin place cause i know no one likes redundant threads
And you would or wouldn't do same load rates? What coils have you moved on to?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

I also notice you have a 4 door. Could that be a contributing factor to the sagging you had with the 2617's considering they are "light duty" for 4 doors but "medium duty" for 2 doors? This seems to be my problem as everyone running the 2617 in the rear has a 4 door.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

I swapped to MetalCloak 3.5" coils.

Since my medium rear coils sagged and the heavy front coils did not, I would not go this route again. I would opt for same rate front and rear, even given the fact that I have the bumper/winch up front and the stock bumper in back. (maybe unless I had a super heavy front bumper with a 12k powerplant?)

I can't keep track of all the OME coil numbers, they have like 18 different ones for the JK. I couldn't even tell you now what the numbers on my coils were (mid '08 when they were installed), just whatever northridge shipped me saying they were heavy front and medium rear for a 4door.

Just looked at the chart again. If I counted right, they have 15 different coil numbers for the JK. The Rear 2617's are Medium Load for a 4door, and constant 150 kgs for the 2door. It shows 2630 as the Medium Load for the 2door.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-26-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I ran both the HD and and no load coils on my 2007 JK, the HD gave me about 3.5" of lift, the no load ran about 2.5" and rode much nicer. I was running their nitro sport shocks at the time and was pleased with the results and ride quality. I had a warn 8000 winch and a heavy steel bumper. here is a shot with the HD coils with bushwhackers and 33" tires.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	593852
Old 01-27-2015, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^are those fenders modified at all? Looks trimmed in prep for the stretch!!

Last edited by Stubicon; 01-27-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Old Man Emu Suspension Setup