Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME HD LT vs OME HD LT +40

Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME HD LT vs OME HD LT +40

Debating whether to get the +40 version or not. I plan on running 35s, perhaps 37s. From other posts I see that it is possible to run 37s with either, just need flat fenders for the OME HD LT version.

I kind of like the way the OME HD LT +40 version looks with 35s. Given I put on 35s and all else being equal except the +40 springs, is there any advantage to the +40 over the regular lift? I know I will get about 1 to 1.5 inches more of clearance, but will I get more articulation?

Any other advantages or disadvantages of either kit?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i've run both setups with 35's and 37's. what i can tell you is that with the +40's, your rid will be firmer and your steering geometry off enough that you'll really want to correct it with a track bar relocation bracket/dropped pitman arm or drag link flip. it's not necessary but, adding them will improve your handling. aside from that, so long as you are running the LT shocks, the amount of droop you have will be the same but stuff will be a tad more with the +40 coils assuming you do not increase the height of your bump stop extensions. if you plan on running 37's, the +40's will give you more clearance to do it. if you just run the standard HD coils, you will need to so some trimming of your body to make it happen.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i've run both setups with 35's and 37's. what i can tell you is that with the +40's, your rid will be firmer and your steering geometry off enough that you'll really want to correct it with a track bar relocation bracket/dropped pitman arm or drag link flip. it's not necessary but, adding them will improve your handling. aside from that, so long as you are running the LT shocks, the amount of droop you have will be the same but stuff will be a tad more with the +40 coils assuming you do not increase the height of your bump stop extensions. if you plan on running 37's, the +40's will give you more clearance to do it. if you just run the standard HD coils, you will need to so some trimming of your body to make it happen.
Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to know.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

I've run most of the OME coil setups. The rides are pretty close across the boards with my weight load. I would second the need for addressing the steering after putting on the +40 coils. Its something I still have to do but its liveable as a DD, just occasionally annoying over bad roads.

+40's gave me a little more room to stretch the 35s and obviously a little more ground clearance. I'd also strongly suggest getting some adjustable control arms with the kit to really tighten up the flightiness. And if you're going to add a heavier bumper/winch I'd strongly suggest putting the spacers in (& the front bumpstops) the first time and save yourself some hassle. BTW TF rear spacers are nice on with the lower coil retainers in Northridge's kit since they have coil guides.

Here's a pic of the different coils to give you an idea:

stock:

616/617 coils with stock rubi tires:

618/619 coils with 35" BFG KM2s:
Old 08-08-2010, 03:18 PM
JK Super Freak

618/619 coils with TF front 1" spacer & rear .5" spacer:

618/619 +40 coils with TF spacers:

Give David at Northridge a call and he'll talk you through it.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mace,

Thanks for the info. My 2010 Unlimited will be sporting an LoD mid-length front bumper, winch and rear bumper w/ tire carrier. Looking to add the OME lift and 35' tires. Still doing my research, but would like your opinion. What would be best? The 618/619 coils with TF front 1" spacer & rear .5" spacer or the 618/619 +40 coils with TF spacers?

Once I hash it all out I'll be calling David for his advice and to order....
Old 08-08-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m(a)ce
I've run most of the OME coil setups. The rides are pretty close across the boards with my weight load. I would second the need for addressing the steering after putting on the +40 coils. Its something I still have to do but its liveable as a DD, just occasionally annoying over bad roads.

+40's gave me a little more room to stretch the 35s and obviously a little more ground clearance. I'd also strongly suggest getting some adjustable control arms with the kit to really tighten up the flightiness. And if you're going to add a heavier bumper/winch I'd strongly suggest putting the spacers in (& the front bumpstops) the first time and save yourself some hassle. BTW TF rear spacers are nice on with the lower coil retainers in Northridge's kit since they have coil guides.
Thanks. The pictures of each set up help visualize it better.

I expect I will install it and see how the steering is with the intention of getting a drag link flip kit.

Adjustable arms are on my list also.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ChrisLe
Mace,

Thanks for the info. My 2010 Unlimited will be sporting an LoD mid-length front bumper, winch and rear bumper w/ tire carrier. Looking to add the OME lift and 35' tires. Still doing my research, but would like your opinion. What would be best? The 618/619 coils with TF front 1" spacer & rear .5" spacer or the 618/619 +40 coils with TF spacers?

Once I hash it all out I'll be calling David for his advice and to order....
That sounds like a sweet build. BTW - If you haven't read up on C-gussets I'd recommend it.

As for your question - since they wheel & ride pretty similarly (with 35's), I think it largely comes down to budget and looks. The +40 will require budgeting some additional stuff. As for looks, some people don't like as much wheel well showing, some do. I like the look and like the little extra ground clearance.

Originally Posted by azxr
Thanks. The pictures of each set up help visualize it better.

I expect I will install it and see how the steering is with the intention of getting a drag link flip kit.

Adjustable arms are on my list also.

Let me know if you guys have any more OME questions. I'm no where near an expert (for that I defer to David @ Northridge) but I've learned a couple things. Good luck and enjoy the lift.

-Matt

Quick Reply: OME HD LT vs OME HD LT +40