Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME lift with stock Wheels/Tires

Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Zee
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OME lift with stock Wheels/Tires

AS soon as I sell my boat, I am buying an OME lift, but I will be retaining my stock wheels/tires.

I plan on getting the HD system all around, and 1.5" spacers.

Is there anything more I need to get? Brake line extensions, track bars etc etc?

Is anyone else running this lift with stock wheels/tires?

I need to increase my break over angle.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:38 AM
JK Newbie

You'll see a lot of debates on this topic here on the board, and I learned a lot reading from these. I installed the OME HD lift in my '08 Rubicon about a month ago. At first, I only installed the springs and shocks, and left all else stock; I centered my steering wheel. I drove it around town some, but didn't do any wheeling. It drove fine and I had no problems on the street, but based on my readings here, I didn't have confidence to take it wheeling or leave it this way long term. My axles were clearly off center, and my sway bars were no longer horizontal. Keep in mind, I'm very anal about my stuff, so I've now ordered and installed a lot of extra parts.

I've added front and rear Teraflex adjustable trackbars and centered my axles and steering wheel.

I've also ordered (but not yet installed) extended rear swaybar links (on the RUBI, you can move the stock rears to the front and use the extended links in the rear). I'm waiting for my new wheels and tires to be installed (this week) before I install the new swaybar links, because I think they'll rub the stock wheels. You should be able to avoid this rubbing with the spacers.

I've done some mild wheeling now, and I'm nervous about the brake lines. They get pretty tight, so I've ordered some Crown brake lines and am going to install them when I get to the swaybar links.

After this, I'll feel pretty comfortable with my setup, although I think new driveshafts and a complete control arm kit are in my future, probably before year end.

So, based on what I've learned, I think you need the following:

-Adjustable front trackbar
-Adjustable rear trackbar (or relocation bracket)
-Extended brakelines
-Swaybar links
-Wheel spacers or wheels with less backspacing

I was a complete newbie at this when I started, and if I had to do it over again I'd probably start with the Teraflex 3" lift instead of building my own lift, but I've had a great time doing it and I've learned a ton. So far, I've done all this myself at home.

If you have questions, I'll try to help, and hopefully you'll hear from the guys on here with a lot more experience than me.

Last edited by For Play; 08-26-2008 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:51 AM
Zee
JK Freak

Thanks a bunch, that is very helpful.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Zee

I understand your concern. I am also a new Jeep owner and want to lift it. I have been watching this forum and reading intensely on all the feedback.

I have yet to pull the trigger ona lift, but I have taken a couple of take aways from what Ive read:

Some guys are satisfied with their 2.5 BB and others wish they had gone larger. In some cases, guys report they wish they had purchased more complete sets in the beginning due to stress the new ride height puts on the Jeep due to the increased angles. (dont even know if I explained that correctly).

Anyway, I am still researching like you. I would say keep in mind whether or not you "think" you might increase tire size. This will increase those angles and create more stress. (ie) drive shaft and other components.

Make sure you purchase as complete a set as your money can buy as stated by ealrier post. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Zee
JK Freak

I will definitely increase tire size when the stickers wear out... likely will rn 255/85R16 (33.3"). Unlikely to go larger in the foreseeable future, I don't want to re gear, and I drive a lot of highway.

I hear good things about the OME lift, but maybe that is not the best lift if I'm looking for a complete kit with no issues.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am just getting ready to install my HD OME lift.

Are you saying I need more if I want my Jeep to run
and handle perfectly?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JYogi
I am just getting ready to install my HD OME lift.

Are you saying I need more if I want my Jeep to run
and handle perfectly?
for centering your steering wheel you want the front and rear adj. trackbars.
Talk to Dave at Northridge 4x4...see sponsors list..he is very good on the OME.

I don't do much wheeling, just have to cross a big da... river once in a while...with the HD setup with the trackbars has my jeep running great.

here is pic of it lifted with stock shoes...really sucks..I have 5 new wheels in storage and waiting to get the cash for BFG KM2s Then she'll look decent.

The Big Boo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lifted.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	12343  
Old 08-29-2008, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

I ran the stock BFGs for a few months until I decided on what tires/rims I wanted to run with.

Sorry, don't have a lot of pictures, but it didn't look entirely ridiculous at least.

I have only done the adjustable trac bars front and rear.

I didn't have to do anything in regards to wheel spacers with the stock rims/tires.

About the only shot I have easily accessible.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Zee
JK Freak

I appreciate that. Is there any rubbing? I guess the Teraflex 3" rubs the sway bar when flexed. How much lift did you end up with?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

When it was first on, I had 3.5" lift in the front and 3" lift in the rear easy...if not closer to 4 in the front and 3.5 in the rear. It went on in January.

As far as rubbing, I did not experience any, but I can't say I ever had it fully flexed either...so guess there always could have been if I had.

Since then, there has been the heavier front bumper put on, and now a heavier tire in the rear. Still plenty of lift to clear the 35s.

Quick Reply: OME lift with stock Wheels/Tires