Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME shock lengths

Old 03-29-2008, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good grief, just scuff them up with scotch brite and shoot them with a rattle can color of your choice. In 15 minutes plus drying time they can be any color you want for $5.

Now back to the original post please ...

So are there any real sources for the JK OME shock lengths? I have been looking for months. Everyone has hearsay, opinions, and "I think I remembers". I need real numbers with points of measurements. I know it sounds like a lot to ask, but a few pictures, or even a scribble on a cocktail napkin would be worth 1000 words. I'll pay pal $5 to the first person that can come up with accurate measurements and pictures and post them here.

This is a popular lift, and it is not like this is one of the "can I use shock X with lift kit Y" that get posted every day where the specs would tell you if you knew better. Many people that are planning on using these high quality shocks on their modified rigs want to know. If they don't want to know, they should. I just don't understand why OME can't just put out a pdf with all the specs. The internet is littered with people asking about OME shock lengths.

If you want the technical details about why I want to know I can tell you, but for me this is not just an exercise in remembering baseball stats.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

OME USA apparently is no more than a distribution center? The only email I can get is

I tried the US number and there is never anyone there that can tell me the specs I want. One guy I spoke to was tyring to convince me that they all the numbers were exactly 2.5 inches longer than stock.

There is an OZ phone number

My cell phone will not connect that call. I don't have a land line, so I used a friend's phone. I talked to them and they gave me numbers, but the numbers he gave me must have been in furlongs. I assumed they were in mm or cm, but when I converted the numbers after the call, they were gibberish.

I'm done with expensive phone calls.

This IS a thread about OEM shock lengths, started by another member. It doesn't seem that unreasonable to ask.

Last edited by Robar; 03-29-2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Please do not post direct non sponsor contact information.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:26 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe if you shared the underlying problem that has you sweating the exact dimensions of the shocks someone could help out. As Teej discussed they are 2" longer than stock (=24") and as Germany pointed out they also compress more which is why OME doesn't include bump stop extensions. If you decide to go with a longer shock better plan on extended brake lines or at least the adapter brackets that move the mounting points because at full droop with the OME shocks your brake lines are stretched pretty tight.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, I didn't want it to come to this, but I will go out and measure mine tomorrow after the storm clears. Actually, I'm kind of curious myself. I'm guessing that they are roughly 2.5" longer.

Last edited by nukeman; 03-29-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:13 PM
JK Freak

You need to contact ARB.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:06 AM
JK Newbie

Ok, i found my relativ maesurements i took, compared to german stock Sahara:

Front:
OME N196 :

extended: OME are 30 mm longer (1,2"), compressed: OME are 10 mm shorter (0.4")

Rear:
OME N 198

extended: OME are 45 mm longer (1,75"), compressed: OME are 5 mm shorter (0.2")
Old 03-30-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the measurements. So roughly, they give you maybe 1.5"-2" more travel than stock it seems?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

CJK:
"Maybe if you shared the underlying problem that has you sweating the exact dimensions of the shocks someone could help out"

How much more clear could I be? I have asked in multiple shock threads. I have asked several times in the OME shock thread. Thank you, but I've got the required mods covered. I'm not "that guy" who can't be bothered to check things out and then post that my brake lines failed on I70 after offroading.

somewhereinla:
"You need to contact ARB."

I did. It is not unreasonable to ask a question like this in a modified rig forum and expect and answer if someone has it. I would email them, but the only address is a "sales@" address. If you have a tech@ email address don't bother to post it here, it will get erased if you do.

Robar:
"Reason: Please do not post direct non sponsor contact information."

My intention was not to violate forum rules. ARB USA does not sell direct, and many of the vendors here sell ARB products.

nthinuf:
Thanks for the PM. I appreciate your efforts. I will leave it up to you if you want to post the data here.

steelblueJK:
Thank you. Your numbers are close, based on my measurements of stock shocks, to the ones nthinuf gave me.

Audiophiliac:
I hope you got the data you needed. Sorry if I mucked up your thread.

I feel I have made a reasonable attempt to contribute to this board. I have only asked a rare few questions myself. Yet there are a number of people in this thread alone that want to hijack, redirect, and dismiss a legitimate question. Part of the reason that there is often so much misinformation here is because the people that that don't know the answer just want to make it difficult for every one else.

I'm taking a break for awhile.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Audiophiliac
Thanks for the measurements. So roughly, they give you maybe 1.5"-2" more travel than stock it seems?
Yes, but you can only "use" that part of the increased travel, which comes from the extended length, 1,2" - 1,75".
Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by adaycj
I'm taking a break for awhile.
Adaycj - chill out. Your questions are absolutely valid, but your tone is a little over-the-top aggressive... I'm watching this thread because I have these same questions, and I hope that someone writes in with the answers that you're looking for.

Quick Reply: OME shock lengths