Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OME shock lengths

Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrote an e-mail to ARB-USA, and in a couple of minutes their president (Jim Jackson) answer me directly. I hope it can help to the people who wants to know about it:

Me:
Dear Mr. Jackon, I would like to know the extended / Compressed
lengths of the following shocks, for a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007
(JK):

OME N196
OME N198

I couldn't find this info in the website nor catalogues.

Best regards,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARB-USA President:

We don't publish this information. They will work with our coils just
fine. You can put 35 inch tires under our JK suspension.

Jim Jackson
President
ARB-USA
720 SW 34TH STREET
RENTON, WA 98057-4814
Tel: 425-264-1391
Fax: 425-264-1392
Email: JJACKSON@ARBUSA.COM
www.arbusa.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me:
Dear Mr. Jackson, I want to know this information because I'm planning
to buy an OME lift kit, and I want to add anti sway bar quick
disconnects, but I don't know if OME shocks are long enough for this
additional flex...

Best Regards,

ARB-USA president forward to a tech supervisor:

Tech Supervisor:

Jim asked me to address your questions.

The shocks are roughly 50mm longer than stock for additional
articulation and will work fine with sway bar disconnects. However, tire
clearance is limited with the sway bar disconnected to about 33 inches.
35 inch tall tires should only be fitted with a bump stop spacer kit (in
development, we should have them in the next few weeks), otherwise the
tires will contact the body work of the vehicle.

We are working on extended length JK shocks at the moment and they will
be available in the next few months. I don't have the specific lengths
handy, but they will be in the range of 18" closed and 28" long. They
are designed to work with 4-6 inch lifts. Keep in mind that if you go to
a shock longer than our standard JK shock you will need to at least
lengthen your brake lines and possibly the ABS wiring and other items as
they are a limiting factor for downtravel.

Best Regards,

Marc Bowers
Tech Supervisor
Air Locker, Inc.
425-264-1391
720 SW 34th St.
Renton, WA 98057
Marc@arbusa.com
Only 50 mm (2") longer...

PD: Sorry for my english...

Last edited by Chino78; 03-31-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Marc Bowers seems to be versed in JKs at least. I wonder why they resist publishing specs. A great many people with first hand experience with their shocks (including me w/CJ, TJs) feel they are some of the best. Their shocks are available separately from sponsoring vendors here. It would seem that it would be critical data for someone doing a build using their product. It would seem we have enough to go on anyway, based on a general consensus of 1.5 - almost 2 inches longer than stock.

MJS_Jeep_888:
My only intended "tone" is one of insistence.
I request, respectfully, that you consider ignoring me and my posts. I will be doing the same for you. I'm sure no one in a "Modified JK Tech" forum wants to hear us give each other advice about how to behave.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

So what I can gather, if you only install the OME shock without a lift. one should get about 1" or so of incidental lift, though that's not why one would install these shocks...yes?
Old 04-03-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Dustoff '68
So what I can gather, if you only install the OME shock without a lift. one should get about 1" or so of incidental lift, though that's not why one would install these shocks...yes?

No, you are completely and utterly mislead.

The shocks do not lift you at all....they merely damp motion....so the coils would let you bounce...the shocks damp that motion so you glide smoothly.

As I said, the Old Man Emu shocks are about 2" longer than stock...

(1.96" longer...according to OME)

If Steel Blue's measurements are right, its even less than that....as little as 30 mm longer (30 mm = 1.18")

As a stock shock compresses more than it needs to...something that compresses even MORE than a stock shock has travel in part of the range you will never ever ever ever (Ever) use....

...which means that (IF THE EMU DOES COMPRESS MORE) then, LESS of the old man Emu's TOTAL travel is useful, than a stock shock's...but, in total, it has more extended length....and as the mounts are in the same place, it probably just gives ~2" more droop.

IF Emu's new longer shocks only compress to about 18" - but extend to about 28", that's only a 10" travel shock....but, the compression of 18" is LONG for a compressed shock, and an extended length of 28" is SHORT for a 6" lift.

So, once again, the OME shocks will probably ride nice, but have very litle articulation compared to the competition....just like their current 2" SL, etc...barely better than stock.

If OME is planning a 10" travel shock that extends to 28" for a 6" SL...and -

- TeraFlex's 6" lift has a 14" travel shock that extends to more like 35"....again...

...The EMU's have very little articulation compared to the competition....hell, the 2.5" TF BB has ~27-28" droop....WITHOUT a 6" SL.

So, the OME's ride nice for an old fashioned twin tube shock, but, are not built for good articulation.

Compressing shorter than stock is meaningless, as the stocks can compress more than needed as is......

Last edited by TEEJ; 04-03-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I asked an OME (ARB-USA) tech about getting OME shocks with more travel. This is the response:

As for the shocks, we will be building extended length JK shocks, but they will likely be too long on compression for less than 4 inches of lift. As it is, the standard OME shocks net most of their travel down, not up and the added length increases that further so articulation really isn't a problem. Basically you have something like 4-5 inches of uptravel (too solid) when fitted with extended bumpstops and something like 6-7 down. It's well balanced. The fear would be that if you increase total droop (not articulation, but hanging droop) that the driveshafts would need to be replaced with something that would handle the angle. This won't normally be a problem on the trail as it's rare that the truck is high centered on the bellypan and the axles are hanging, but it can happen and could result in damage to the shafts. Ultimately, we did lift a tire once in a while on our last outing, but as the truck was fitted with lockers it really didn't make any difference and maybe helped transfer some weight onto the tire with solid contact rather than just hanging loosely.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

It seems that for me, the OME shocks wont cut it. I need more travel, and want more articulation capability. Its even more important that I can keep the tires on the ground since I dont have lockers (YET!). Ive been looking at Rusty's 3.25" lift using the Bilstein 5150 shocks. They have several lengths to choose from....a 10.02" travel which is 25.91" extended and 15.89" compressed.....an 11.5" travel shock which is 27.99" ext. and 16.5" comp. and a 11.93" travel (29.7" ext., 17.78" comp.)....

I know i would have to use longer brake lines, notch the cross member (auto), and replace front driveshaft to make the 11.5 or higher work. If I remember right, the stock shocks have 7.5" travel? So even the 10" would be a huge improvement. With 35s on the 3.25" lift, would 11.93" travel be practical? Eventually, tube fenders all around as well...so if I had to run some longer bumpstops temporarily, no prob.

There is almost too much info. in this thread now....lol....its good though.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by greggradwohl
I asked an OME (ARB-USA) tech about getting OME shocks with more travel. This is the response:

As for the shocks, we will be building extended length JK shocks, but they will likely be too long on compression for less than 4 inches of lift. As it is, the standard OME shocks net most of their travel down, not up and the added length increases that further so articulation really isn't a problem. Basically you have something like 4-5 inches of uptravel (too solid) when fitted with extended bumpstops and something like 6-7 down. It's well balanced. The fear would be that if you increase total droop (not articulation, but hanging droop) that the driveshafts would need to be replaced with something that would handle the angle. This won't normally be a problem on the trail as it's rare that the truck is high centered on the bellypan and the axles are hanging, but it can happen and could result in damage to the shafts. Ultimately, we did lift a tire once in a while on our last outing, but as the truck was fitted with lockers it really didn't make any difference and maybe helped transfer some weight onto the tire with solid contact rather than just hanging loosely.
Their 24" shock to save your drive shaft would be great, except, -

- we can go about 27" down and STILL be ok with the drive shaft...so, they just don't make long travel shocks....even their PLANNED 4-6" lift kit shock is shorter than other's 2.5" lift's shocks, etc....

...and is only 10" of travel vs the ~ 14" travel shocks that come with OTHER 6" lifts, etc.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Their 24" shock to save your drive shaft would be great, except, -

- we can go about 27" down and STILL be ok with the drive shaft...so, they just don't make long travel shocks....even their PLANNED 4-6" lift kit shock is shorter than other's 2.5" lift's shocks, etc....

...and is only 10" of travel vs the ~ 14" travel shocks that come with OTHER 6" lifts, etc.

The travel is from 10-12 inch for the two inch lift (perhaps I should have included my email question), not the 6 inch.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by greggradwohl
The travel is from 10-12 inch for the two inch lift (perhaps I should have included my email question), not the 6 inch.
Yeah - the stock shocks are only about 7" travel...the OME might be 9"....all the other 2" BB'ss give at least 10" travel shocks if available, and the coil sprung lift kits for the height range of the OME are all more than 10" travel shocks.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know I can feel mine hit full extension when flexing; especially in the rear.

I am using Tera BB Bumpstop Extensions with my OME lift, and right at the exact point where my 35's are tucked into my rear wells with maybe 1/4" of clearance, I contact the bumpstop and feel the shock limit. Perfect IMO.

Honestly if it weren't for the superb ride, I would have gone with another shock for more travel, but I have no regrets.

I think sometimes we forget that OME suspensions aren't designed for extreme articulation, they were/are designed for improved ride, handling, and towing manners and succeed at these characteristics VERY well. An added bonus is the added height and off-road capabilities, but if I wanted a suspension for the crazy stuff, I would look elsewhere.

Last edited by nukeman; 04-03-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: OME shock lengths