Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OMG, Clutch Kits for 6-spd are out

Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation OMG, Clutch Kits for 6-spd are out

So i'm guessing mine will need a replacement soon, so i was searching around the net, and BOOYAA. I found it. Only one company makes it, and its only $249 for a complete clutch kit (clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing), and the shipping is free. Screw the stealership, they wanted to charge me $1200 for new clutch + labor. I'll pay $250 and will spend Saturday replacing it with a help of my neighbor. It took us about 10hrs replacing flywheel, clutch, and flushing tranny and TC fluids in his TJ.

h**p://www.clutchcityonline.com/products/01-046.shtml
Old 11-25-2008, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is it the HD clutch kit you wanted or the OEM one???
Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

doesnt look like HD ... but i could be wrong
Old 11-25-2008, 09:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dlud51
Is it the HD clutch kit you wanted or the OEM one???
Not sure, but at this point i don't really care cause its way cheaper then getting one from stealership. I'd rather replace some cheap no-brand clutch 5 times a year. Then waste money on a clutch from dealer, that i already had replaced at 6000miles, and looks like i need a new one again at 15000miles. Thats twice in a little over a year period.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seryoga
Not sure, but at this point i don't really care cause its way cheaper then getting one from stealership. I'd rather replace some cheap no-brand clutch 5 times a year. Then waste money on a clutch from dealer, that i already had replaced at 6000miles, and looks like i need a new one again at 15000miles. Thats twice in a little over a year period.
What are you doing to burn up 2 clutches a year?? You do know that you're not driving a lil' rice burnin' turbo sports car, right??

I got just over 13000 miles on my 08' and my clutch feels as strong an it was on day one...

BTW...thanks for the link, your right, that is a good deal on a full kit....if I do end up needing one in the future
Old 11-26-2008, 01:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

your right, i would also choose the cheaper way out, but why are you burning your clutches so fast??? i would expect them to go for atleast 20000 miles of offroad conditions
Old 11-26-2008, 03:52 AM
JK Freak

I do a lot of mud driving, and mud gets everywhere. The manual tran has a vent cut out in the bell housing, its about 1/4x3 inch. When you are stuck in the mud, some of that crap gets inside the bell housing through that vent opening. Throwout bearing gets packed with it, and some of the mud gets in between the clutch disk and a pressure plate.

Now, i don't think i need a new clutch disk, but i do need the throwout bearing, and since its impossible to get it separate (thats what i've been told at the stealership), i'll get this cheep kit, and pull it out of there. Since i'll be talking the tranny off, i might as well change the clutch too while i'll be at it.

Sorry for the confusion. lol

Also, the first time it broke, i didn't see the the burned clutch disk, i was told by service manager, that i needed a replacement. But i do know definitely that my throwout bearing was shot.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmm....................

27000 miles on RubyDoo and still the orginal clutch and it feels fine as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Serg they need to look at some of your video's and pics to really understand why you are killing the throw out bearing

he goes thru mud holes, and sometimes just into them haha, where no stock x should be going and sucks up that mud a LOT like he said....if everyone with a clutch did that they would be going thru them also

Serg I CANNOT wait to wheel with you with your snorkel hahaha
Old 11-26-2008, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmmmm, I put 150K on my old XJ and it still had the original working clutch. I would take it off road about once a month. And this is progress?

Last edited by whatroads; 11-26-2008 at 07:04 AM.

Quick Reply: OMG, Clutch Kits for 6-spd are out