Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions about Harbor freight Badland 12000lb winch

Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions about Harbor freight Badland 12000lb winch

I have received a coupon from Harbor Freight BADLAND 12000lb Winch for $330. Is it a good deal? Is this winch any good/worth the money?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

being thats its harbor freight, its going to either work flawlessly for decades, or break the very first time you use it. I don't think harbor freight and "reliable" go hand in hand. certainly a good deal though. could always spring for a warranty and just replace it if it breaks. personally, I love harbor freight, I get all my tools from there, but for that price, I might go with an engo winch instead (thats my plan anyways)
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sneck
being thats its harbor freight, its going to either work flawlessly for decades, or break the very first time you use it. I don't think harbor freight and "reliable" go hand in hand. certainly a good deal though. could always spring for a warranty and just replace it if it breaks. personally, I love harbor freight, I get all my tools from there, but for that price, I might go with an engo winch instead (thats my plan anyways)
They have a $7.00 shipping option right now. The whole thing will cost me $357 including tax & shipping. Looks very attractive for 12000lb winch.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rc007
They have a $7.00 shipping option right now. The whole thing will cost me $357 including tax & shipping. Looks very attractive for 12000lb winch.
like I said, it seems pretty tempting but...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...Synthetic-Line!

12k, shipped for $350. just saying. however, I have zero experience with the HF line. hopefully some people who have actually used it will chime in
Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

There was a write up about that winch in the 4WD magazine...it faired very well. Didn't finish first but beat out a couple "name brand" winches. Aft reading the article, I went with the Engo 10k winch...a little more money but came with the synthetic line... PM with Chris from Jeep AddOns...he is a vendor on the forum here and always has deals going on.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I read the article, not bad for the price. When I did mobile home set up we use a lot of the non badlands winches for lifting concrete steps on moving mobiles. They always worked but the line frayed. Granted we used them daily and most likely over weighted them. I have a cheesy harbor freight one on my rhino that was $49 but it's saved my ass twice now.......I remember an email from the CEO of harbor freight bragging on his winches, if I remember there is a pretty decent warranty and if you don't like it I'm sure you can just take it back and say it slips and you don't want an exchange.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 9k winch from HF that I got with a $249 coupon. I added the warranty for $30. It works great. If you look at the specs, it is better than most Chinese made winches, but not as good as warn. It's fast enough and the case looks just like some other more expensive brands. I did a write up on it when I installed it. If it takes a shit in the next 3 yrs I will just take it back and get a new one at no charge. Couldn't pass it up for 249.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Glad some have had good experiences with harbor freight winches. I have one of their stores in my town. My experience with them so far has been great or horrible. Slide hammer shattered when trying to remove a hub. Electric pressure washer failed on the third use. Hand tools (non powered) I have been very satisfied with.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fanatic
I have the 9k winch from HF that I got with a $249 coupon. I added the warranty for $30. It works great. If you look at the specs, it is better than most Chinese made winches, but not as good as warn. It's fast enough and the case looks just like some other more expensive brands. I did a write up on it when I installed it. If it takes a shit in the next 3 yrs I will just take it back and get a new one at no charge. Couldn't pass it up for 249.
what makes you think it is not Chinese made??????????
Old 03-06-2012, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't think he is saying it is not Chinese. He is saying it is better than the other Chinese ones he has seen. Thats what I got out of t when I read his post a second time.

Quick Reply: Opinions about Harbor freight Badland 12000lb winch