Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Opinions needed - Winch Selection

Old 05-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Coy
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ramsay 9500 UT Patriot

Ramsay has been around as long as warn. Warn is the best, Ramasy next. Quality, Fit, finish
Old 05-05-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Coy
Ramsay has been around as long as warn. Warn is the best, Ramasy next. Quality, Fit, finish
You're absolutely right - WARN is the best and Ramsey is a great winch too - unfortunately for me, it's out of my price budget. If I budgeted $900 - $1,000 on a winch, I would've just gone with the WARN. Have definitely heard a lot of good stuff about the Patriot Winches.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Coy
x3... I have used both, I would save my $ and get a Warn or a Ramsey. I see them both on sale now and then for $500 to $600.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Facta Non Verba - Facts not Words

I have the Smittybilt XRC 10K pound winch on my Rugged Ridge modular bumper for 6 months now. I'd suggest you look at it from a "Whole System" point of view including batteries, throttle controllers, and isolators etc. If you're going to do it = do it right.

For those with female esthetics coaches, mine disapproves of the "Machinery Look" on the front of the Jeep. If you have one of these, consider getting the winch fully hidden from view.

Here is what I know:
I have used the winch 4 times, once to extracate my own vehicle out of a mudhole deeper than the 35's, full of debris (tires, railroad ties, plywood, 2" steel cables all came up out of the mudhole with the Jeep). I have never been so thankful to be prepared.
The XRC10 price was $400 at Q-tech here in West Chester.
The XRC10 draws enough amps to kill a stock battery at idle on the 2nd pull, and stall the Jeep.
My single Optima has held up well on the 2 subsequent pulls.
The 125' steel cable is great when there aren't too many trees nearby.
I like helping stranded people get their vehicles out.

Here is what I think:
The installation documnetation is adequate.
The mounting hardware is good.
The cables are a good length, and gauge.
Smittybilt is coming out with a Air-Compressor version soon (Similar to PowerPlant).
The hardwire controller socket plug, ripped off in cold weather. Customer support sent a whole new socket and plug = Good Response Customer Support.
With a rattle-can I painted it all black, to match the bumper & trim = looks decent.
For occasional use, the Smittybilt will be fine with a deep cell battery.
If you plan on regularly getting others or yourself out of a "stuck" go with a Warn/Dual-Optimas or a MileMarker Hydro.

What i would change:
Rugged Ridge is coming out soon with their "Storage" bumper end-caps or "Smugglers". If I had it to do over again, I would get the Smittybilt 10K/Compressor combo and the Rugged Ridge smuggler end caps. Maybe in the future I'll install the full RR brush-guard too.

The thing I like best about the Rugged Ridge XHD modular system is you can start basic, and add-on as needs change. Flexibility, Duability, and price-point are all considerations for me.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed - Winch Selection