Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orfab bumper peeling

Old 05-18-2014, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orfab bumper peeling

Anyone else have this issue. My front is a body armor and its older then the rear but looks almost as good as new.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I do not have their bumper but have their tire and fuel can carrier. The finish sucks. It started rusting a couple months after I installed it. So, it's not a surprise seeing your bumper showing rust signs. The product's concept is great but execution leaves to be desired.

I'm planning to refinish my tire/fuel can carrier this summer.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's fantastic. Add this to the project list
Old 05-19-2014, 02:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anthing metal I buy and put on my jeep I add spray paint over it even over powder coat paint. Everything here in the northeast US rust after one winter
Old 05-19-2014, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealing with this myself. Started when they were less than 3 months old. Trying to get OR-FAB to own up, but they are being difficult to work with. Their latest suggestion is laughable - they are sending me 2 cans of black spray paint. I'm trying to be nice and haven't posted much about this, but if it keeps going down this road, I will post a complete history, with quotations, and final resolution. I like the look of the bumpers, but the powder coat doesn't seem to be holding up at all.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

I also have an or fab, its a year old. It looks about the same!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

The body armor front I have has lasted 3 winters and looks almost as good as when I bought it.

I feel like if you sell a product with a certain finish on it that I shouldn't have to worry about spray painting or doing anything else to it. I could see maybe a spot here and there, but this looks worse the a junkyard bumper. I like the bumper just disappointed in the way the finish is rusting.

I contacted them, but I dont think I will get a response.

O well, project!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

OP-my bumper looks pretty similar to yours. I live in Michigan where they salt the bejeezus out of the roads all winter. That beats it up.

This is the response I got from ORFAB after inquiring about the rust:

"Hello and thank you for your business. The instructions packet that came with the bumper has a sheet describing how to season the bumper. It basically instructs to coat the bumper when it's brand new a layer of a rust inhibitor like Armorall or WD-40. It's called "season". This acts like a barrier to prevent the rust from ever starting. Usually a healthy coat of Armorall stops the rust but it also rich-ens the finish because it saturates the light rust and darkens it which usually does a great job of hiding it. You can also use a very very close matching paint that Rust-Oleum makes. They call it Black Textured and the bar code reads 7220 BLACK"

In my opinion, it's a pretty poor response from them. So basically the bumper is made out of cast iron pots where you have to "season" it, haha. Hey, how about you make a quality product that won't rust after a season or two? I like the function and look of the bumper but am severely disappointed with it. Can't see myself buying anything else from them in the future.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to pretend they don't powder coat.
They have a bunch of guys with rust oleum rattle cans!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

had it lined instead of orfabs rattle can solution.

Quick Reply: Orfab bumper peeling