Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oversize oil filter

Old 07-25-2007, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oversize oil filter

Has anyone had a problem with an oversized filter, I am ready for a Mobil one oil changed and having trouble deciding on an oversized filter or regular due to a thread I read here saying the backflow vaulve kicks in at a different psi than stock, can someone help or should I just use the regular size to be on the safe side. Thank you
Old 07-25-2007, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First change used K&N reg. size no problems. Second change used Pure One oversized. No leaks and no problems. I always hand tighten my filters.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:53 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running the Amsoil EaO34 filter for the last 5000 miles. That's the first that I've read about different back flow PSI. I don't seem to have any problems, but I don't know what I'd be looking for either.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:22 AM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got me thinking about this, so I did a little digging. Here's a thread that provides some good info. OIL BYPASS PSI DISCUSSION It looks like the Oversized Amsoil filter is 7 to 10 PSI. The Amsoil recommended replacement filter (same as OEM size) has a bypass PSI of 8 to 11. The thread also says that the bypass is rarely used.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't see what going to an oversized filter accomplishes. Most of us do oil and filter changes on a regular basis, and stay within the prescribed guidelines for changes. And the small amount of oil added by using a larger filter, (maybe 1 pint more), will not really affect the outcome. The engine manufacture spec'd out the proper filter for the engine, I'm sure taking into account for a percentage of extremes. Why try to repair something that is not broken.
At any rate I'm sure some will say they want more filtration surface area, and some added oil volume, for better heat transfer.
With that in mind, going to a larger filter is not a bad thing provided the filter fits correctly, and the by-pass valve is correct for the engine application.
The by-pass valve needs to have the relatively same stiffness as the OEM by-pass specification. The reason for this is fairly simple: Too weak a spring will cause the filter to by-pass all the time, and to strong a spring may cause the filter to restrict oil flow and lower oil pressure.
As I understand the OEM spec for the engine is a valve at 8-11 PSI. The oversized filter in question has a valve set at 7-10. That is difference across the filter.
It looks to me like they are pretty much the same, however I don't know enough about filters to determine if the difference in surface area would change the overall PSI across the filter to the point where it would be larger than what it really appears. Or smaller for that matter.
For now, since our JK is new and still under warranty, I'll believe the manufacture knew what they were doing when they spec'd out the filter and go with the Mobil 1 (102)
Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorrel
I really don't see what going to an oversized filter accomplishes. Most of us do oil and filter changes on a regular basis, and stay within the prescribed guidelines for changes. And the small amount of oil added by using a larger filter, (maybe 1 pint more), will not really affect the outcome. The engine manufacture spec'd out the proper filter for the engine, I'm sure taking into account for a percentage of extremes. Why try to repair something that is not broken.
At any rate I'm sure some will say they want more filtration surface area, and some added oil volume, for better heat transfer.
With that in mind, going to a larger filter is not a bad thing provided the filter fits correctly, and the by-pass valve is correct for the engine application.
The by-pass valve needs to have the relatively same stiffness as the OEM by-pass specification. The reason for this is fairly simple: Too weak a spring will cause the filter to by-pass all the time, and to strong a spring may cause the filter to restrict oil flow and lower oil pressure.
As I understand the OEM spec for the engine is a valve at 8-11 PSI. The oversized filter in question has a valve set at 7-10. That is difference across the filter.
It looks to me like they are pretty much the same, however I don't know enough about filters to determine if the difference in surface area would change the overall PSI across the filter to the point where it would be larger than what it really appears. Or smaller for that matter.
For now, since our JK is new and still under warranty, I'll believe the manufacture knew what they were doing when they spec'd out the filter and go with the Mobil 1 (102)
All it does if filter more then a regular.

Quick Reply: oversize oil filter