Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Paint hard top. What to use?

Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverJK12
Several companies sell the bright silver metallic color for jeep in a spray can. It will be hard to get the glossy color but I think it will still look good. I have line x my outside of my entire cj before and it looked good. My plan is a simple $100 job possibly with spray can from mopar or dupli-color then if it's crappy pay the $1300 to get it done. I dunno though. Someone has had to do this before on te forum
Are you gonna try to smooth it out so it looks more like the new factory painted ones or leave it with the rough look?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by danmojo82

Are you gonna try to smooth it out so it looks more like the new factory painted ones or leave it with the rough look?
Imo, The smoother it is the more likely it will scratch and the black will show through. So might leave it rough so it can bond better. I might do a few tests on the top if no one chimes in with past experience.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SilverJK12
Imo, The smoother it is the more likely it will scratch and the black will show through. So might leave it rough so it can bond better. I might do a few tests on the top if no one chimes in with past experience.
This is off of VIAIR's build

Originally Posted by Viair
here are more updates....on body mods

Painted Roof...

Whats go'in on with the tailgate?? Is that handle correct?

So it can look good, but I dont know how it'd look rough still or if it would scratch less.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wonder what it would look like if you bedlined the outside? Have you seen the new JKs with the matching tops? They don't look good to me at all, but that's just my opinion. Plus, bedliner would be way more resistant to scratches than glossy auto paint.

Jason
Old 06-11-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by danmojo82

This is off of VIAIR's build

So it can look good, but I dont know how it'd look rough still or if it would scratch less.
That looks nice!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

I Know that prep is one of the most important phases. May look great when your finished, but 6-12 months later - problems. I've painted several.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

I saw somewhere on here where people had duplicolored the hard top and it looked great with no issues for scrathing. I can tell you I duplicolored my wheels and they came out great. The devil is in the details of the prep. Take your time on the prep and it will come out great. I will try to find the write up for you.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Well if it was sanded down first then Line-X with paint to match it might look pretty good and last long while still having the rough texture.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Line-x wouldn't scratch so easy. Factory scratches way to easy. I used base coat clear coat.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

What paint did he use for that top? So sanding and prep with what? If you have his writeup that would be awesome!

Quick Reply: Paint hard top. What to use?