Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting the Flares

Old 11-22-2010, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the Flares

Ok, so I still havn't gotten my JK yet due to being deployed. But I will be getting it in about 2 weeks!

It is Surf Blue Pearl. I have decided that black/dark dark grey looks like holy smashed hell on this color of jeep, however, dark blue seems to look really nice.

My question to you is: Is there a way to paint or a style of paint that I can use on my fender flares, bumper, top, etc. to make it dark blue, but still make it keep the same texture of the plastic. Or is there a place online that sells that sort of thing.

I'm content with the look of the stock flares and bumper so I dont really want to get a different looking one, I would just like to paint it, or buy the stock style just in dark blue.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Imma Bump in hopes someone will have an idea.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

So your looking to paint your flares smurf blue or dark blue? You could always see if you can buy some Sahara flares?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

I think it'd be cheaper to have them painted than to buy others. Most any body shop would be able to handle it.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mrlobaloba
So your looking to paint your flares smurf blue or dark blue? You could always see if you can buy some Sahara flares?
I want to paint it a Dark blue color. My jeep is Smurf Blue and its really hard to find a color that goes with it. Black doesn't look very good IMO White is OK but colors on the accessories lighter than the body doesn't look so hot compared to slightly darker colors. Dark blue seems to go really well with it.

Having Sahara Flares dark blue put on there wouldn't look bad but would look a little show roomy if you know what I mean. I might just do that though since I haven't seen what painted flares look like and the only image in my head is Spray paint.

Thanks for the input. Also any of you know if there are colored Hard/Soft tops?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can paint the flares and keep the texture. The paint in spray bombs are usually a high fill type paint where it can fill low spots and help hide imperfections. Using an OEM paint (such as duPont) will paint the surface proper and show all texture. The key to painting plastics is getting all the mold release agents out of the plastic. Painting directly onto a plastic surface that has just been wiped down will allow the release agents in the pores of the plastic to eventually seep out and cause de-lamination.

How I paint plastic is:

1. Bake part with a UV lamp for about 15 min.

2. Wipe warm surface with a TPO (thermo poly olefin) cleaner. These two steps should effectively remove the release agents.

3. Spray a high quality (one that is compatible with the top coat) plastic adhesion promoter, them follow directions for what ever topcoat/clear coat that you prefer.

If your don't want the "glossy" show room look you can always add a flattening agent to the clear coat to give it a flatter look but will give it an OEM quality finish. If you have an automotive refinishing supply store they can usually mix you up small samples and help you in regards to what you need.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Inko
You can paint the flares and keep the texture. The paint in spray bombs are usually a high fill type paint where it can fill low spots and help hide imperfections. Using an OEM paint (such as duPont) will paint the surface proper and show all texture. The key to painting plastics is getting all the mold release agents out of the plastic. Painting directly onto a plastic surface that has just been wiped down will allow the release agents in the pores of the plastic to eventually seep out and cause de-lamination.

How I paint plastic is:

1. Bake part with a UV lamp for about 15 min.

2. Wipe warm surface with a TPO (thermo poly olefin) cleaner. These two steps should effectively remove the release agents.

3. Spray a high quality (one that is compatible with the top coat) plastic adhesion promoter, them follow directions for what ever topcoat/clear coat that you prefer.

If your don't want the "glossy" show room look you can always add a flattening agent to the clear coat to give it a flatter look but will give it an OEM quality finish. If you have an automotive refinishing supply store they can usually mix you up small samples and help you in regards to what you need.

Thanks this is loads of help. You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you?

Quick Reply: Painting the Flares