Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Painting Inside Hardtop Black?

Old 02-06-2017, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All done. As you'd expect, painting them black definitely darkens the interior.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JK-Panel1.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	666103

Probably goes without saying but would highly recommend using some type of thread-locker when re-attaching the hardware. I used Loctite.

//D
Old 02-06-2017, 07:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Many of us have done this over the years with good results. Here is one from way back in 2007 using spray cans of duplicolor bedliner.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...d-liner-19277/

Did mine late 08 I think, don't really remember since it was so long ago. Chose bedlner over paint because it was a dull, non-shiny black. I rarely run the hard top, but no issues doing the inside with the bedliner. And easy touchups if needed.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Many of us have done this over the years with good results. Here is one from way back in 2007 using spray cans of duplicolor bedliner.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...d-liner-19277/

Did mine late 08 I think, don't really remember since it was so long ago. Chose bedlner over paint because it was a dull, non-shiny black. I rarely run the hard top, but no issues doing the inside with the bedliner. And easy touchups if needed.
Went through that whole thread and might have convinced me to take the plunge!
Old 02-07-2017, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yup, when I had a hard top, I painted the inside and had no troubles. The key, as others have said, is to let it completely dry. Not only for durability but because of the vapors. You wouldn't want that smell getting into your vehicle upholstery let alone you breathing it.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had my hard top painted with an automotive vinyl matte black paint applied with a gun.

it looks Looks great.

I tried to use dynamat under the headliners but it melted from the heat of the sun especially on the large headline covering the trunk area.

I ended up removing the dynamat and reinstalled the headliner. I have been happy since.

Make sure the top is 100% completely cleaned prior to installation or you may find the double sided tape will let go from gravity.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by twoxstreem
I had my hard top painted with an automotive vinyl matte black paint applied with a gun.

I tried to use dynamat under the headliners but it melted from the heat of the sun especially on the large headline covering the trunk area.

I ended up removing the dynamat and reinstalled the headliner. I have been happy since.

Make sure the top is 100% completely cleaned prior to installation or you may find the double sided tape will let go from gravity.
Funny, I was just thinking about using the "Frost King" insulator under the headliner as well. Good to know and thanks for sharing!

//D
Old 02-07-2017, 11:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dnowlan
... lightly sanded the surface and cleaned-up with Accetone.
Just a word of caution on acetone as a solvent as it is highly flammable and a bit of a health exposure risk. Isopropyl alcohol would clean your surfaces sufficiently and be quite a bit safer.
Just sayin....
Old 02-07-2017, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Not one of you spoke about how changing from white to black makes it much hotter inside during the summer. It has to make a big difference.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dahreno
Not one of you spoke about how changing from white to black makes it much hotter inside during the summer. It has to make a big difference.
Why would that be the case? The black isn't exposed to the sun so it's not absorbing radiant heat. I noticed no difference, let alone much hotter.

What it DID do was making a darker feeling inside so reading stuff meant turning on the dome light more often.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
Why would that be the case? The black isn't exposed to the sun so it's not absorbing radiant heat. I noticed no difference, let alone much hotter.
Exactly

Quick Reply: Painting Inside Hardtop Black?