Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

painting the inside of the top

Old 02-04-2008, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting the inside of the top

I have seen a few pics of the inside of the top painted. How hard is it to paint it? Anyone have some more pics? AEV wants $750 to do it. I would think I could do it for less than $50.

Any more pics?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm. Good question. I thought I read somewhere they were having them Rhino Lined. Of course that won't be dirt cheap I would think, but way cheaper than you were told!

The only problem area is the latches and such. Maybe just not paint those areas?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

I bet some good prep work and some of that krylon spray paint for platic would work....I wouldnt pay that much...you know those panels will get scuffed up and chipped
Old 02-04-2008, 09:23 AM
-

i'm going to do mine soon, will post pics when done.

using dupli-color spray bed liner out of a spray can......nice textured finish that looks good with the rest of the matte black, but i'm fitting vinyl covered styrofoam panels in all the reccesses
Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

I think I might give it a shot this summer. That Duplicor spray bedliner in a can does work pretty good. Ive used it on bike parts and it stuck pretty good.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never seen this before, hope someone posts some pics soon, im interested!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

here is one thread on this

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...inside+hardtop
Old 02-04-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

i forgot... this was a good how-to on this.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/blacked-inside-my-hardtop-duplicolor-truck-bed-liner-19277/
Old 02-04-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did this this fall....I know worthless without piics....I will try and post tmrw...I painted the interior of my Khaki top ( although it was white inside)..I used the textured tan( don't know official color) ...I taped it off and took my time...I believe it took 3 cans....not bad, looks good, and can easily be repainted if need be, but for now there is no chipping...Like I said, I will post pics tmrw....
Old 02-04-2008, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

hey guys & girls I did this a few months ago. That is the link to the thread I made. I have not been on the forum lately, I have been very busy. Anyhow I used duplicolor truck bed liner and I love it. still looks great. The latch area has held up great no scratches as this bed liner is pretty durable to scratches. If I were to do it again I would still use bed liner over paint. I dont think paint will hold up over a long period over the bed liner, just look at the out side of the top that is painted black. I will say , make sure you have plenty of time set aside for the prep work. DO NOT RUSH IT. This is were most of the work is and will make the next step (painting) easy and fun. Good luck to all who do this. You will be very happy. I only had my rubicon a few weeks and could not take the white any longer. If you have any questions feel free to ask. John

Quick Reply: painting the inside of the top