Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Painting Poison Spyder rock knockers

Old 08-20-2012, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Poison Spyder rock knockers

Just ordered a set of Poison Spyder rock knockers from Dave at Northridge. Looking for suggestions on painting them. Would like it if the steps had some texture so people getting in and out do not slip. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say depends on your budget. Powder coated or professional or rattle can bedliner. I'd probably rattle can bedline them. If you scratch them up on the rocks, makes for easy touch ups and it'll have the texture you want.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like the idea of the rattle can bed liner. Have never used it before though. Where can you get it? Like paint will I want to prime the surface first?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used Duplicolor and Rustoleum, both with good success. Check any auto part store or Lowes/Home Depot.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by snytribe
Just ordered a set of Poison Spyder rock knockers from Dave at Northridge. Looking for suggestions on painting them. Would like it if the steps had some texture so people getting in and out do not slip. Thanks in advance.
Painted mine with flat black Rustoleum, the type that says it doesn't need primer and can be applied directly to metal. Looks OEM, and touch-up is easy.

It hasn't been slippery. But if it ever does, my back-up plan is to just paint a strip on top near the door using black bed-liner or similar.

Last edited by Mr.T; 08-20-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Rustolium was invented by god himself! Shit works miracles and looks awesome. I bedlined my entire interior,grill, keys, & even did my guitars.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

rustoleum here, bad luck with duplicolor. I use self etching primer underneath.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:56 AM
JK Newbie

Krylon dries in 5 min. Rustolium takes an hour. And if they're really going to slide on rocks don't worry about a self etching primer.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Gives me a much better idea as what to do.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by snytribe
I know your more worried about painting them with a texture but I wanted to point out one thing in regards to your intial comment.

I have rocker knockers and I love them. I get comments from random stangers on a weekly basis so they do look good once mounted. But they do not work good as a step. I'm not saying you can't get your foot on them but they are at such an angle it does not leave much room for the foot. I never use them to climb in my jeep. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Quick Reply: Painting Poison Spyder rock knockers