Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Painting Poison Spyder rock knockers

Old 08-21-2012, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck

I know your more worried about painting them with a texture but I wanted to point out one thing in regards to your intial comment.

I have rocker knockers and I love them. I get comments from random stangers on a weekly basis so they do look good once mounted. But they do not work good as a step. I'm not saying you can't get your foot on them but they are at such an angle it does not leave much room for the foot. I never use them to climb in my jeep. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Thanks, that is good to know. Any chance you could post a picture of yours?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by snytribe
Thanks, that is good to know. Any chance you could post a picture of yours?
Couple pictures in my driveway. Tried to get you some different angles. You can see how tight they hug the jeep.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. Those do look nice. Feeling good about my choice of sliders. My sister is going to have trouble getting though. Nice job with your jeep.... It looks real nice.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

Thanks. Those do look nice. Feeling good about my choice of sliders. My sister is going to have trouble getting though. Nice job with your jeep.... It looks real nice.
Thanks. Can't Go wrong with PSC

Last edited by SergeantChuck; 08-22-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried textured rattle can top coat on a set of brawlers. Texture came out uneven and looked like crap. Had to strip them and start over so had them powder coated instead ($200).

A plain rattle can paint job can come out great, but the textured stuff not so much.

FWIW, the powder coat has survived a year with many trail miles and no paint damage. Probably means I'm not wheeling hard enough.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Thanks!!! Half the fun is the build.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

My rails come in on Friday. Want them painted and on for a trip on Sunday. Bought both bed liner and textured metallic rattle can paint. Right now leaning towards the textured paint. Just not sold on the look of the bed liner on the rails. Either way going to paint them black with the middle section metallic grey. Thinking that will look good with the black jeep with some metallic grey highlights. Next worry is I'm afraid I will want new fenders with those rails.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

....well, by two cents would be that if I'm going to spend that kind of money on such a nice piece of equipment, I wouldn't jack it up by painting it with a rattle can! In my opinion, and I know what they say about opinions, those rockers are works of art! Powder coat them....give them the look your ride deserves.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bedlining seems like a good idea, but now after reading this post ^ seems like powder coating 'em may be a better option. Though a little more pricey..
Old 08-21-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peacemaker
....well, by two cents would be that if I'm going to spend that kind of money on such a nice piece of equipment, I wouldn't jack it up by painting it with a rattle can! In my opinion, and I know what they say about opinions, those rockers are works of art! Powder coat them....give them the look your ride deserves.
Agree about the powder coat would be the best. "But" I like doing things like this and hate to pay for something I feel I can do. My though right now is to paint them myself. If it ends up looking like I did paint them myself I can pull them off and have them powder coated. Also, thinking if I paint them and they do come out nice I will be able to touch them up when needed. We will see.

Quick Reply: Painting Poison Spyder rock knockers