Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

performance??

Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question performance??

ok, so i did a search for performance, and gears and stuff.

i know this has been a hot topic for a while, and there's also the gearing with tires sheet, that i've studied.

got a lot of info, and i'm leaning towards regearing with 4.10's or maybe even bigger eventually. but in my most recent posts, i've explained that i'm going with AT ~32's or maybe even ~33's if i can find a good price.

with all the information i have, i just wanted to get everyone's opinion. 33's and deal with the sluggishness for a while (could be up to a year for gears), or 32's and deal with the sluggishness, by getting a cai, or a chip or something. im regearing eventually when i go bigger, but for now, im gonna save for my lift after i get my tires.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

yor asking a question that you will get hundreds of opinions on, and in reality only YOU can answer. It seems like you know the pros and cons.

You have to decide what is more important to you. No one can decide for you. Make a decision and go with it.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Superchips Flashpaq and you won't need gears... Its amazing how much power and fuel mpg it unleashes at the same time!!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asuperhero
ok, so i did a search for performance, and gears and stuff.

i know this has been a hot topic for a while, and there's also the gearing with tires sheet, that i've studied.

got a lot of info, and i'm leaning towards regearing with 4.10's or maybe even bigger eventually. but in my most recent posts, i've explained that i'm going with AT ~32's or maybe even ~33's if i can find a good price.

with all the information i have, i just wanted to get everyone's opinion. 33's and deal with the sluggishness for a while (could be up to a year for gears), or 32's and deal with the sluggishness, by getting a cai, or a chip or something. im regearing eventually when i go bigger, but for now, im gonna save for my lift after i get my tires.
The 6spd provides you a lot of flexibility. For the tire size you are considering the 4.10s should be a good match (look at the crusing speed gears vs rpm charts), BUT if you are going to a different gear ratio in the future, why would you go through the expense of changing gears twice?

This seems to be common theme recently: trying to solve final drive ratio issues by boosting HP. Although you can compensate to certain degree with your shifting patterns for the deficiencies of this approach, don't do it! You won't be happy with it in the long run.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/gears-now-save-ripp-sc-105518/
Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Super Freak

If anyone wants to donate a stock, not blown, 3.8l,I will work on it over winter (mostly machine work and maybe bigger injectors) and dyno it in spring, we will see if I can get any more H.P. out of it. If Redneckjeep wants to help that would be great (HINT,HINT)

Quick Reply: performance??