Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Performance Chips?

Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Chips?

Was think of getting a chip for the Jeep was looking at the Hypertech or the Unichip I see alot of people have the Hypertech. I looked at the Unichip web page it was said that you can get 30+ Hp and 39+ torque what do you think?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Junkie

So far, I think JET, UNICHIP & HYPERTECH are the only companies that offer performance chip tuning on the JK (at this moment). I basically got the Hypertech for the various adjustability it offers (i.e. tire size, fuel setting, thermostat, etc). It gives a mild performance increase, but IMHO nothing that would take you off your seat. If its strictly HP & TQ your looking into, then Unichip seems to advertise the most HP & TQ gains compared to the other two...
Old 08-21-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

for the record, I have the Jett Stage II and only noticed the low end hesitation is gone. that's all. I even took it off for a while, then put it back on. No mpg improvement with either grade of fuel, not performance gains, except for that low end hesitation.

Just my $0.02.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Junkie

I started begging Superchips for a JK programmer since I returned to stock on my Hemi Dodge Ram 2500 for a week, I definitely missed it. If someone did the same to my Jeep with the Hypertech Max Energy programmer I wouldn't know it until Johnny law told me how fast I was rolling without the speedo recal.

Last edited by JPop; 08-21-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
for the record, I have the Jett Stage II and only noticed the low end hesitation is gone. that's all. I even took it off for a while, then put it back on. No mpg improvement with either grade of fuel, not performance gains, except for that low end hesitation.

Just my $0.02.

That's actually the same experience I have heard from others with the Hypertech, some alleviation of the low end hesitation. I didn't so much have that issue as I had already took care of some other things such as CAI, TBS, headers and exhaust before I ever got the programmer. (Side note, their is a large contingency of people who will say a throttle body spacer doesn't work, but the one thing it assuredly does is provide low end throttle response).

Get the Hypertech lack of energy programmer and nothing except a speedo recal. No seat of the pants performance gains, no mpg gain and no difference between premium and regular fuel.

If someone has an idea on how to get some better performance out of this thing I am all ears.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

I suspect the Unichip's numbers are a reflection of what you can get with additional midifications such as an intake and\or an exhaust. I have a Hypertech in mine and, depending on where you are in Cary (I'm in Apex but work near Crabtree) and what you're driving (I've got a Rubi UL w\ auto), we can certainly get together and a\b the two from a seat of the pants perspective.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since I'm still running mostly stock I started with the Jet I chip because it will be a while before I need the extra features of the Hypertech. Gains were small but I got a really good deal on it so I can't complain. I guess it depends on where you are in setup. If you already have larger tires, different gears, etc..., I would go with one that allows speed-o calibration and other programables. But that's just me
Old 08-22-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Unichip in for a while. I did notice a difference in low end and the jeep didn't slow down when I let off the gas. I have actually taken it off and put a supercharger in. I drove a JK with it and had to have it. My Unichip is for sale if anyone wants it. I am throwing it on Ebay next week. PM me if anyone wants it.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:50 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 50 Foot Face
...we can certainly get together and a\b the two from a seat of the pants perspective.

RACE! RACE! RACE! RACE! RACE!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 07WrangX
I had the Unichip in for a while. I did notice a difference in low end and the jeep didn't slow down when I let off the gas. I have actually taken it off and put a supercharger in. I drove a JK with it and had to have it. My Unichip is for sale if anyone wants it. I am throwing it on Ebay next week. PM me if anyone wants it.
With the SuperCharger, is it recommended not to use a programmer, or do you just feel it unnecessary...Thanks..

Quick Reply: Performance Chips?