Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help bed lining bubbled door hinges

Old 06-23-2018, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help bed lining bubbled door hinges

Hey everyone. So as you can tell my paint bubbled and some flaked off. I'm planning on bedlining them black.

I plan to strip off the paint with a wire wheel to the bare metal. At that point should I primer them or go with bed liner ontop of the bare metal? And am I better off stripping them with aircraft remover or just a wire wheel? Any tips and tricks are also appreciated. 🍺

P.s. I drilled my mirrors so this won't happen again
Old 06-23-2018, 03:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

How does drilling your mirrors help with hinge corrosion? The hinges corrode due to galvanic reaction between the steel door and the aluminum hinges. Each metal has a different electrical potential, causing the galvanic corrosion.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
How does drilling your mirrors help with hinge corrosion? The hinges corrode due to galvanic reaction between the steel door and the aluminum hinges. Each metal has a different electrical potential, causing the galvanic corrosion.
the area where the paint chipped off was due to water running down the side of the door as it would seep from the bottom of the mirror arm. Regardless still looking in the best way to refinish the hinges
Old 06-23-2018, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Mechanical is going to be a better way to get in and (hopefully) stop the corrosion. I've come to liking a self-etching primer that chemically bites into the metal, but that's me. You'll need to check your specific bedliner directions to see if they recommend priming but it would certainly be on my list.

If you're not dead set on the bedliner then reconsider it. It's not as easy to clean as a standard painted surface. You could easily paint it with a satin black and then a satin or matte clear coat to keep it looking nice and protected as well.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Common theme with almost every JK I see with a few years on them. Imagine easy fix but something Jeep/Mopar should have redesigned or come up with metal to metal that does not cause this.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

What year JK is this? From my understanding FCA switched to water based paints in 2015, where I believe this problem with the hinges is tied to that change in paint. My 2009 hinges, other than a couple minor chips around the hinges are in good shape and that's even after having the leaky mirrors with the white stripes running down.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-24-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

My 2012 has bubbly hinges.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

My 08 is getting really bad. Gotta do them all over for sure.

Quick Reply: Need help bed lining bubbled door hinges