Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Plasti-Dipping Rims this weekend. Have a few questions...

Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TakeABackRoad
Thank you so much for answering all my questions. I am ready to give this a go this weekend. Did you take your tires off or spray while they were still on?
Can't afford new rims/tires right now and looking for a different look for mine. This sounds like a super easy cheap mod and looks great!
I took them off. I didnt want to get any on the brake calipers/ rotors. I was worried it might smell when it got hot!

I also washed them with soap and used denatured alcohol on them before spraying. This helps it stick.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Put something into the lug nut holes in the rim to keep the paint from getting into the holes when you paint the outside. A nickel or something of similar size will work. That will keep the paint away from the lug nuts so when you tighten them it doesn't tear off the surrounding paint.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

2 cans is all it took me. I did not worry about the tires the stuff wiped off the tire and all was well. Wash it like I do a normal car and I have had mine on for about 4 months and it still looks like the day I did it. Not hard but make sure you clean the rims with alcohol
Old 06-14-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by unl94
Put something into the lug nut holes in the rim to keep the paint from getting into the holes when you paint the outside. A nickel or something of similar size will work. That will keep the paint away from the lug nuts so when you tighten them it doesn't tear off the surrounding paint.
A quarter is the perfect size.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:27 PM
JK Newbie

Just did mine today. Very easy. I did it with wheels on. I masked the lug nuts, valve stems and I used kitchen garbage bags to protect the brakes. $20 and 3 hours to completely change the look of my JK. Also did my antenna.

Do it. It's cheap, looks great and If you screw it up, just peel it off. Good videos on you tube.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-274130162.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	329479   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1284440948.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	329480  
Old 06-16-2012, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick question for anyone who has done it. Do you paint the inside or just kinda spray the inside while they are laying on the ground
Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Quick question for anyone who has done it. Do you paint the inside or just kinda spray the inside while they are laying on the ground
I didn't spray the inside and you really can't tell.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 303rubi

I didn't spray the inside and you really can't tell.
Thanks! I have them all off and about to start. Didn want to go put them back on and regret not spraying the inside
Old 06-16-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! I have them all off and about to start. Didn want to go put them back on and regret not spraying the inside
I got enough over spray that you can't see the inside! Have fun...you will love it!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 303rubi

I got enough over spray that you can't see the inside! Have fun...you will love it!
Got the spare pretty much done. On the 4th coat. About to start the rest!

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dipping Rims this weekend. Have a few questions...