Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

plastic rivets on the fenders?

Old 10-05-2007, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plastic rivets on the fenders?

ok How do you get the plastic rivets off on the fender . they hold the liner and fender together it looks like . and one is holdering the side marker. I do not see how they come off. I have tried pushing the center, pulling , everything short of just braking it off. but I don't want to because I may need them later . any fast help thanks, John

Last edited by JK-RUBIJON; 10-05-2007 at 08:28 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drill them out and buy new ones. They cannot be reused.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

It takes a special rivet gun You will have to buy it from the dealer $59.00 the rivets will not fit in a normal gun. Or you will have to buy some kind of after market rivets for the normal gun if they make um..
Old 10-05-2007, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found some black plastic rivet type screws at Home depot. They match pretty good. Instead of a rivet they have a phillips screw in the center. Take one of the drilled ones with you if you go this route because they had alot of different sizes.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GOCACHN
I found some black plastic rivet type screws at Home depot. They match pretty good. Instead of a rivet they have a phillips screw in the center. Take one of the drilled ones with you if you go this route because they had alot of different sizes.
Thats what I was going to do, BUT decided to give it one more go around. I hate feeling like I gave up, and was defeated. I did get them off FINALLY and was able to reuse them. So just for future refrence if some one searches and needs this info, this is what I did. I took a big flat head screw driver and placed it on the back side of the rivet, so I could push on it and it not drive the rivet into my finger. This allowed the top side to pop out just enough to get a pair of needle nose pliers in there. Grip it around the body of the rivet. You then pull it out. It was very frustrating in the biggining, but after I figured out how to do it, it took just a few seconds to do each one. They are very much like dry wall anchors , only it is all one piece. To reuse them, just flaten them out and push it back into the whole. Then snap the back side of the rivet in place. This will all make since if you need this info. Hope it helps some one in the future. They can come out and be reused very easily.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At work I use a stiff & narrow putty knife that is razor sharp and a hammer to chop them off without marring the flare. Then I use a Spitzenagel limited access plastic pop rivet gun to install the new ones.

Quick Reply: plastic rivets on the fenders?