Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Please help me confirm the origin of this leak!

Old 12-06-2018, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me confirm the origin of this leak!

All, first I’ll introduce myself. I’m Jesse and I’m new to the forum. I’ve owned 5 jeeps in my life (74 CJ5, 96 Cherokee, 05 TJ, 91 Cherokee and now an 09 JKU). I live in Winston Salem, NC and I had been living in Colorado for the last 6 years (from there originally).

I just bought a 2009 JKU with about 75k miles on it. The Jeep is immaculate and

has excellent service record history. Perhaps the immaculate part was a problem as I didn’t notice any leak when I bought it. A month later, it’s caked in fluid.

I first noticed what I’m 99% sure is ATF dripping from the engine oil filter (see picture). This struck me as odd because it’s nowhere near the transmission or the transmission lines.

About 2 weeks ago I had 315/70/17’s installed and the leak has gotten worse. It’s now spread to the area around the oil pan (towards the front) and is dripping oily red fluid all over (2-3”) pool every night.

As I understand it, the JK uses atf+4 as power steering fluid and the power steering pump is almost directly above the oil filter. This leads me to believe I have a failing/leaking pump. That said, I don’t see any fluid around the pump.

Still, I suspect this is the problem. Before I spend the time and money to replace the pump, anyone disagree and have a different solution?

thanks in advance for the help

Old 12-06-2018, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry for the poor photo placement, sent from my phone.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The only red fluid in that area on a 3.8L would be power steering fluid. There are hoses attached to the pump. Run your hand under each and you may locate the leaker.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SoK66
The only red fluid in that area on a 3.8L would be power steering fluid. There are hoses attached to the pump. Run your hand under each and you may locate the leaker.
Thats kinda what I am thinking. I’ll probably just replace the pump anyway. Excellent chance it is the source of the leak and at 70k plus miles it may go out at any point anyway.

Thank you you for taking the time to reply.

Jesse
Old 12-06-2018, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Rector
Thats kinda what I am thinking. I’ll probably just replace the pump anyway. Excellent chance it is the source of the leak and at 70k plus miles it may go out at any point anyway.
Thank you you for taking the time to reply.

Jesse
You're certain it's an oil of sorts yes? Kind of looks like coolant fluid.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

It does look a bit like coolant but it’s slick like oil. I’m going to pull a sample of coolant from the overflow in the morning to compare the color; just to be sure.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Seizer
You're certain it's an oil of sorts yes? Kind of looks like coolant fluid.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Reason I ask is my lower intake manifold gasket was leaking and it looked very similar to what you took a picture of. The leak also made it's way on to my right lower control arm.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

my vote is coolant.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

I don’t see any sign of a leak near the intake manifold but I’m not going to rule that out. Do you know if the coolant in an 09 would have a slightly “slick” feel to it? The viscosity is similar to a really thin oil.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Seizer
Reason I ask is my lower intake manifold gasket was leaking and it looked very similar to what you took a picture of. The leak also made it's way on to my right lower control arm.
This was my thought as well, especially having experienced a LIM leak on my 2009.

Quick Reply: Please help me confirm the origin of this leak!