Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

please help with teraflex BB!!!!

Old 08-12-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help with teraflex BB!!!!

hi,
i have 33"x12.5" tires and they are always hitting and rubbing on the fenders when there's a decent bump in the road, or if i'm doinga little off-roading. so i just purchased a 2.5" teraflex BB, and it should arrive on tuesday. i plan on installing it on either saturday or sunday so i can dedicate as many hours as i need to for it. (and i also have a bestop supertop nx coming in on friday, so i plan on making a whole installation day out of it.)

i was reading the write up on the project jk site on the 2.5" teraflex, and the one i got is the exact same. it's the 2.5" BB with shock extensions.
i noticed the kit comes with 2 new rear sway bar links that have little nipples on them for a grease gun. it says the new sway bar links are so you can put the stock rear links into the front sway bar. and use the new ones to replace the rear links.

i have a base model jk. 2011 jk sport (or x or whatever). i don't have a rubicon model, and i'm 99.9999% sure i don't have a disconnecting front sway bar. (base model as in, no power mirrors, or power windows, power seats.....nothing)

so please help me, i want to know, and be as informed as possible before i start ripping into the jeep and have it in pieces.....

1. do i need to swap the sway bar links?
2. do i need to take off the rear sway bar links and put them in the front, and put the new ones in the rear?
3.does my jeep even have a front sway bar? and if so....and if i DON'T need to swap links, will the stock front ones be okay?
4.what does swapping the sway bar links do?
5. can i swap them anyways? can i put the stock rear sway bar links in the front and put the new ones in the rear anyways, even though i don't have a disconnecting sway bar, or a rubicon model jeep?

any help and information regarding this install would be so appreciated! i printed out the 12 pages of the write up project jk did on the install so i have a step-by-step guide to installing it. and i plan on taking out the laptop also so i have access to the pictures if i need some sort of reference or help.

thanks so much for the help!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

I did this kit myself a month or so ago...

1. do i need to swap the sway bar links?
Yes, you will.

2. do i need to take off the rear sway bar links and put them in the front, and put the new ones in the rear?
Yes. The rear ones are longer than the front. With the additional lift, you will need to to move the rear ones to the front to accommodate for the extra height.

3.does my jeep even have a front sway bar? and if so....and if i DON'T need to swap links, will the stock front ones be okay?
Yes you have a front sway bar link. No the stock front ones won't be ok. You will need to swap them with the rear ones.

4.what does swapping the sway bar links do?
Swapping the sway bar links allows the everything to be hooked up properly with the additional 2.5 inches you are gaining...

5. can i swap them anyways? can i put the stock rear sway bar links in the front and put the new ones in the rear anyways, even though i don't have a disconnecting sway bar, or a rubicon model jeep?
Yes, The sway bar links are held on with a bolt on each end. You just need to take that off and they pop right off.

I would also print out the teraflex install guide that is on their website. It is in color. The one i got with the kit was black and white and the pictures were hard to make out.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for the info. i was under the assumption that i only had to change out the sway bar links if i had a rubicon or a disconnecting sway bar. now that i know i need to swap them regardless, it makes it a little easier knowing that step.
Do the sway bar links that come with the kit have the grease nipple things? I heard they don't anymore but all the pictures i see have the zert or zerp ..whatever its called. I bought a grease gun for that reason. But heard they don't have the nipples anymore. which was yours??
Thanks again for the info!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
Thank you for the info. i was under the assumption that i only had to change out the sway bar links if i had a rubicon or a disconnecting sway bar. now that i know i need to swap them regardless, it makes it a little easier knowing that step.
Do the sway bar links that come with the kit have the grease nipple things? I heard they don't anymore but all the pictures i see have the zert or zerp ..whatever its called. I bought a grease gun for that reason. But heard they don't have the nipples anymore. which was yours??
Thanks again for the info!
Mine didn't have them. The pictures showed that they did and the instructions said to grease them but there was no spot to do it so I skipped that step.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

installed mine several months ago and mine had no grease fittings either , pay close attention to the orientation of the sway bar links so that the studs do not damage your tires the instructions clearly depict the right way to install just a fyi
Old 08-12-2012, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

You don't have to use the links. They didn't supply links when I bought my lift and I now have 70k miles on the lift.

The rubicon does need the links.

The studs only hit the tires if you don't have spacers or aftermarket wheels.

I added the zerks to my links. You have to use washers to keep the zerks from hitting the bushings.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

So what's the general consensus? I think Im going to install them cause it seems in helps with the added length. I received them from ups today and plan on installing it either Saturday or Sunday. Along with the softop. ill take some before and after pics!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well i installed the softtop on Friday and did the bb on Saturday. supertop wasn't bad. the BB however was a pain in the ass.
New rear sway bar links didn't have the zerk fittings however, zero fittings came in a little baggie with the kit. but there were no place to install them. anyway, it was a pain and took me from 10:30a.m. To 8:00p.m.
But its all in now and Im happy with the finished product!
Before:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120820_053722.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	356199

After :

Name:	ForumRunner_20120820_053823.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	356201

Name:	ForumRunner_20120820_053846.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	356202

Name:	ForumRunner_20120820_053733.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	356200
Old 08-20-2012, 01:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

That last picture should be a "before" picture.

Quick Reply: please help with teraflex BB!!!!