Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poison spyder crusher flares

Old 09-28-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poison spyder crusher flares

Just installed ps rocker guards and love them!! Tomarrow I am installing the front crusher flares, does anybody know how hard it will be, I have had trouble with nutserts before. If someone has pics please post up,
Old 09-28-2012, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

I don't have any pictures of the step by step process. I will try to list a few things off memory.

When I removed the stock fenders I was nervous. I was super careful with the fronts but practily ripped off the rears. The plastic retainers snap fairly easy. I'm not suggesting to just rip them off because the sheet metal is very thin. I am saying don't worry about trying to salvage the plastic retainer clips that hold them on.

After you have removed everything grab your inner fender liner. Hold it back inside the fender well and draw a line from front to back. I used my saws all to cut along the line and placed the liner back inside the wheel well. Make sure all your holes line up and you pretty much want it flush with the inside edge of the wheel well. The instruction dont talk about the inner liner until after you have the new flares on.

When you get to the point of marking the extra holes check them a couple times. Once you drill them it is to late and you'll have to make it work. They pretty much need to be dead on.

As for the riv-nut tool. I used the PSC riv-nut tool for the body armor. That was enough for me. I bought a real tool off Ebay for about $150. It made life much easier and was worth the money. If you still want to use PSC's tool I saw a suggestion, which I tried, where you add a few more washer than what are supplied and grease them up with bearing grease so it spins more freely once she starts to tighten up. The riv-nut tool I purchased takes about 5 seconds to install a riv-nut. The PSC tool takes 5 minutes. Felt like.

I can't remember if it was on the fenders but some of the riv-nut will not fully insert into the holes. I took a steel rod that had a round end and stuck it in the hole. I beat on the other end of the rod with a hammer to force the inner body layer to flex enough to allow the riv-nut to seat. Maybe you will not have this problem. I did on several riv-nuts.

After that it was pretty much smooth sailing. The rubber gasket is kind of a pain but not to bad. The holes the bolts go through are small so you can try to install the gasket to the fender prior to mounting. The bolts won't fall out.

If you bought the LED lights just makes sure you have the suggested connectors. The lights were easy compared to the rest.

I really can't think of anyhting else. If you have any specific questions let me know.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I appreciate it allot. I got one fender on today it wasn't bad at all just time consuming. I will check out that tool becouse I have more armor coming and won't fight the one that ps supplied.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

If you do a search for "Westward Rivet Nut Gun" this is the one I bought. There are others on Ebay that are cheaper. I think you need 1/4X20 if memory servers. Make sure it has the correct size. It will save a heck of a lot of time and is a lot easier on the forearms.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck
If you do a search for "Westward Rivet Nut Gun" this is the one I bought. There are others on Ebay that are cheaper. I think you need 1/4X20 if memory servers. Make sure it has the correct size. It will save a heck of a lot of time and is a lot easier on the forearms.
I too bought the Westard rivet nut gun and yes on the 1/4x20 stud.

With my front fenders, when tightened, it pulled the front panel away from the body and created an uneven gap where the front panel and the grill meet. It has been a known issue with these fenders.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes both fenders pulled the sheet metal out of alignment from the hood latch forward if I tightened them down hard they fit great except for the very last front 6 inches by the grill
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigT
Just installed ps rocker guards and love them!! Tomarrow I am installing the front crusher flares, does anybody know how hard it will be, I have had trouble with nutserts before. If someone has pics please post up,
Nutserts? My front crusher flares didn't have nutserts, they had the u-nut clips. My rears (still to be installed) came w/ 5/16" nutserts though.

Trending Topics

Old 10-03-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigT
Yes both fenders pulled the sheet metal out of alignment from the hood latch forward if I tightened them down hard they fit great except for the very last front 6 inches by the grill
I must have been lucky. Mine lined up without issue.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonboy74

Nutserts? My front crusher flares didn't have nutserts, they had the u-nut clips. My rears (still to be installed) came w/ 5/16" nutserts though.
Yea they came with the u nuts for the top bracket that connects up to subframe and u are right no nutserts I was looking at the rear armor bag of stuff I was bout to install
Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SergeantChuck
I must have been lucky. Mine lined up without issue.
I'd say you were lucky. Not only do my front flares have a gap between the flare and the sheet metal of the fender (near the front of the flare) they've now stared pulling the fender away from the grill creating an uneven gap.

Quick Reply: Poison spyder crusher flares