Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Poor performance for Toyo Open Country?

Old 12-31-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuka
Because the stock siping is very limited. Adding a proper level of siping greatly increases traction.
Ok, I just think they are pushing the MTRs. Nothing wrong with MTRs, I would have gone with those, if I did not get a good deal on my Toyos. Both are mud tires, not the best for snow or rain. I do not think I have seen rain in 8 months
Old 12-31-2009, 09:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chicken Corners
Ok, I just think they are pushing the MTRs. Nothing wrong with MTRs, I would have gone with those, if I did not get a good deal on my Toyos. Both are mud tires, not the best for snow or rain. I do not think I have seen rain in 8 months
Oh I am sure the guy was. Neither is optimal for snow or wet conditions.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have only ran bfg's M/T stock rubicon tires and bfg's the old type. The Toyo's have been quieter and are wearing very nice. My bfg's got louder with more miles and time passed. No siping on the bfg's and it hurt them in most snowy conditions and they did break loose in the rain as well.

Toyo's seem to be better than average for snow. I did a stopping test between my jeep with Toyo's and my rav4 with Michelin Latitude Alpin winter tires. Hard packed snow/ice, the Jeep stopped about 3' long of the winter tires at 40 km/h (-5 degrees C). Jeep stopped about 20' short of the rav4 with stock all terrains (factory Toyota toyo a/ts). I would say the siping is good for a m/t. Decent tire overall.

No complaints in the rain, however it does not rain as hard here as the coast.

As far as balancing, they are the only tire I know that comes from the factory with a balance point. There is a little yellow circle on the sidewall when the tire is new that the tire shop should line up with the valve stem. Toyo says this helps with balancing. Chances are that your tire shop will not know this. I had to tell them, only took a few ounces, they were surprised for a 35" tire.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Junkie

Best to start off with a Tire dealer who carries both brands before taking the advice of someone who is poised to have other motivations. Hundreds if not thousands reviews of the Toyo MTs where they do better than their counterparts in the rain and snow. The drawbacks are simple, ride quality and weight for a JK.

Have siped Toyo MTs on both my JK and truck, looking out the window at a half foot of snow and know they will do as well as the average AT tire.

Quick Reply: Poor performance for Toyo Open Country?